Parrots think your their mates?

I have a quick question.Do parrots really think that you are their mates? I Am very curious about this.

Parrots imprint so yes hand reared parrots often don’t know they are parrots and think humans are their mates. This isn’t really healthy for them IMO, we cannot give them what they need which can lead to behavioural issues with the parrot.

Good thing my parrots are the same gender as I!

If they bond to other species I don’t think they know or care what gender you are.

GMV wrote:Good thing my parrots are the same gender as I! I don’t think this matters. My Grey prefers me and she is female. It was the same with my Sennie, as well.

The ‘gender compatibility’ (parrot only likes women because parrot is male) is another myth that has been debunked a long time ago. Parrots do, sometimes, get overly bonded to their humans and regard them as their mates but, in all honesty, this is not only because of the deep imprinting of the larger species (it hardly ever happens with the smaller ones) but also because of mishandling on their owner’s part. And yes, it is 100% unhealthy for them. It’s bad enough that we trick them into imprinting to humans for our own selfish reasons, allowing them to mate-bond to a human, it’s unconscionable because it deprives the poor bird of its own identity.

Pajarita wrote:The ‘gender compatibility’ (parrot only likes women because parrot is male) is another myth that has been debunked a long time ago. Parrots do, sometimes, get overly bonded to their humans and regard them as their mates but, in all honesty, this is not only because of the deep imprinting of the larger species (it hardly ever happens with the smaller ones) but also because of mishandling on their owner’s part. And yes, it is 100% unhealthy for them. It’s bad enough that we trick them into imprinting to humans for our own selfish reasons, allowing them to mate-bond to a human, it’s unconscionable because it deprives the poor bird of its own identity.Sometimes it just happens, though and the bird immediately wants to mate. I met a male African Grey who was known to be a “ladies man” of sorts because there were several women (including me) that he wanted to mate. He rubbed on me and whined and flapped his wings - ten minutes after meeting him for the first time! With the imprinting I don’t think parrots know we’re not parrots and yes, the mating behavior should be discouraged. In place, encouraging flight, play, and other behaviors instead is greatly helpful.

Parrots that behave the way you described are sexually frustrated to the nth degree because this is something that would not even be done in Nature. They court for quite a while before they try to mate.