Petition (trade greys)

http://www.change.org/petitions/urgent- … ey-parrotsNot sure if I’m allowed to post this so feel free to remove it if it’s inappropriate. This petition was brought to my attention by Northern parrots so I wanted to give others the opportunity to know about it and perhaps sign it too.I think the majority of peple know about the cruelty involved in parrot trade so I’ll say no more.Thanks everyone.

That is sickening. If these birds had been hunted for food they would have been killed more humanly and their deaths would have not been in vain.The birds in the picture suffered long agonizing deaths. Please excuse me while I puke.

It's ridiculous. I can't believe there are people in the world who will ruin hundreds of lives, equal to our lives, just to get money. These people should be locked up.

Completely agree with you both, thats why I wanted to give others the chance to sign it too.My boyfriend did not get the choice though, I would have twisted his arm if he hadn’t signed lol.

I tell you I was afraid to look [I new it was going to be bad].Its a very overwhelming feeling.I want to help but where do you start?[marie Im glad you posted the petition] You read in my posts that Im always mentioning this book " Of Parrots and people" It has inspired me so much I know that I want to contribute in some way.Trying to figure out my niche in this .This forum has made me realize that rescues should be considered first,I want to help with people learning how to give their parrots the best homes they can! There is no shelter near me to help at or I would be there.I think what I might in the future be a place where I take in breeders to try and give them a happier rest of their lives I would love someone to read this book [and hear what they think]I could send it to you [maybe your address in my PM] then maybe you could pass it on to someone else

marie83 wrote:http://www.change.org/petitions/urgent-petition-tell-cites-to-suspend-trade-in-african-grey-parrotsTo be quite honest, this is useless. No amount of paperwork bureaucracy will ever get those countries to stop exploiting their wildlife. If it weren’t more profitable to sell those parrots, they’d go back to eating them which is what they’ve always been doing. When people live in such starving poverty, violence, and terror, there is damn little that could be done to convince them to live otherwise. The best thing isn’t trying to convince or pressure the Africans to stop doing this. It’s best to educate the people who are buying the birds and dissuade them from buying wild caught parrots. Encouraging breeder programs, rescues, etc is the route to go. International policing won’t make this go away.If you haven’t read this already, this is a recollection of my encounter with wild caught Senegal Parrots for sale in Africa. While I give parrots my greatest respect and admiration, I realize that there is no way you can tell these starving people not to do it. The only way is to tell the people who could afford not to buy it from them to look elsewhere.

http://trainedparrot.com/Parrot_Market/

Of course it won’t go away Michael. I’m not that niave, but every little does help. Just like animal cruelty laws doesn’t stop all cruelty, it is illegal to steal and murder but that still goes on too. Of course it would be brilliant if education did work but people will believe what they want to believe for their own selfish gains, like those believe that cannabis shouldn’t have been banned, the chinese still want to use rhino horn in the medicines even though it is scientifically proven to have ZERO health benefits and there have been many many education programs on that. Rhino poaching still goes on despite the laws in fairly high numbers (approx 300 a year- one a day) but many rhinos now survive and that is because the laws protect them.When they are killing for food, although I still can’t agree with it (vegetarian myself), any animal including most humans will do whatever it takes to live. It’s an inbuilt survival instinct but at least the terror the poor parrot endures will be over quickly- a starving person will not wait longer than they have to for their meal.

Hi terri, Your right, I have seen you mention this book before and am definitely interested in reading it. I did just run a very quick google search on it and from a quick scan of page one results it appears to be a US book and unavailable in the UK. Anyway because of this I assume you are not in the UK and the postage costs will be huge.Thank you very much for your kind offer.

marie83 wrote:Hi terri, Your right, I have seen you mention this book before and am definitely interested in reading it. I did just run a very quick google search on it and from a quick scan of page one results it appears to be a US book and unavailable in the UK. Anyway because of this I assume you are not in the UK and the postage costs will be huge.Thank you very much for your kind offer. Just give me your address