Plane strike - Owl runs into airplane

In aviation there’s a fear of bird strikes where an airplane flies into an unsuspecting bird and it can do substantial (sometimes fatal) damage to the airplane and its occupants. Well this is an unusual case where it went the other way around and a bird flew into a parked unsuspecting airplane! A pilot I know saw this owl impaled on an airplane antenna inside of a hangar. He called wildlife rescue and they managed to save the owl. It will most likely end up in a rehab center or zoo.http://mooneyspace.com/topic/18275-a-wounded-owl/

Poor little thing.Hopefully! It looks quite damaged, sorry to say if it can no longer fly (or be able to survive the wild) the owl will probably be killed.97% of all wildlife brought in to a vet to be healed is killed, if they are doing their jobs correctly. The koalas at Australia zoo in the rehab centre are not aloud to be put on display, and if they are broken beyond being able to live in the wild they are uthanized. Where I volonteer they have a one winged tawny frogmouth named hooter, and he is only alive because kind people who picked him up of the road kept him (not telling anyone for it is not legal.), it was then given to the park when the owls secret carers no longer had the means to care for him. Biosecturity has several times demanded that he be put down, simply because he couldnt fly! It is so sad because when you look at him he is a happy bird living a good life. The owners of the park fighting for Hooters life is the only reason he is still alive, same story with their flightless cattle egret, both of the birds are victims of cars.

Not here. There are centers where the ‘damaged’ wildlife can live - maybe not for all species (they don’t bother with species that tend to be in overpopulation like white tail deer and such) but definitely for birds.Australia doesn’t seem to be a ‘kind’ country for animals - at least, that’s the way it seems because we are always getting requests for petitions to prosecute people who kill/torture/mutilate defenseless animals like kangaroos and koalas… Mind you, not that America is much better!

Pajarita wrote:Not here. There are centers where the ‘damaged’ wildlife can live - maybe not for all species (they don’t bother with species that tend to be in overpopulation like white tail deer and such) but definitely for birds. Aww, that is so cool! We really need to start something like that over here. We do have wildlife carers but honestly I dont think they keep the ones that are badly injured. We have taken in galahs with broken wings to a vet before, both times he comes out and says 'sorry it died overnight.'we then did some searching and found that they arent even opperated on, just killed.Pajarita wrote:Australia doesn’t seem to be a ‘kind’ country for animals - at least, that’s the way it seems because we are always getting requests for petitions to prosecute people who kill/torture/mutilate defenseless animals like kangaroos and koalas… Mind you, not that America is much better! So many humans are too cruel, and just purely disrespectful to nature

Indeed! But I am hopeful that we will evolve to the point where we are able to respect other species the same as we do ours…

Most zoos have a Wild Life Rehab section. When they take a critter in they ask where it was found so it can go back if fixed. The ones who cannot be released are kept for show and tell and schools and stuff.

Pajarita wrote:Indeed! But I am hopeful that we will evolve to the point where we are able to respect other species the same as we do ours…Agreed!liz wrote:Most zoos have a Wild Life Rehab section. When they take a critter in they ask where it was found so it can go back if fixed. The ones who cannot be released are kept for show and tell and schools and stuff.That is really cool :3