Please help bring Felix home!

A friend of mine and his girlfriend have come into a predicament. They lost their jobs and were no longer able to care for their African Grey, Felix, into the hands of a boarding center. The place is run by a close friend of the family and he told them not to worry about the fee. Now that they have gotten new jobs and are able to afford to feed and house Felix again, they went to reclaim him only to be handed a very large bill ($900). They are unable to pay the bill at the time as they both work for minimum wage and the time they spent living without jobs has cleaned out their savings. The longer they have to wait to get Felix back, the higher the bill is going to get. They have set up a donation page and if any of you can donate even a dollar or two Im sure they would appreciate it to get their baby back. Spread the word if you can.http://www.gofundme.com/7yr8o4You can email him at winterlove@gmx.com, but he requests that no one message him on facebook as he rarely ever checks it.

http://www.gofundme.com/7yr8o4

Can’t they set up a repayment plan with the centre that was looking after felix? Failing that take on another job? I should also think they need to be checking the laws surrounding this- in some countries this will be classed as retaining someone elses property (or theft) or breach of contract (saying they wouldn’t be billed and then billing them anyway)Personally I wont donate as I’m quite a suspicious person, however I hope what I have said would be of some help if the situation is real.

Just a thought here but, rather than askin’ a bunch of strangers for financial assistance (cuz much like marie83 wrote, most folk tend to be rather suspicious when it comes to givin’ away their money. Either that or they’re strugglin’ financially themselves and simply cannot donate) wouldn’t it make more sense for both of them to ask family members to step up to the plate? Especially since you claim that “the place is run by a close friend of the family”. Marie83 also gave a few other good suggestions but to add one more to hers, how about one or both of them goin’ to the place where the bird is bein’ kept at to “work off the bill”? There are a few other good options out there rather than holdin’ one’s hand out. I’m sure if all of ya put yer heads together ya’ll think of somethin’.

I agree with the other replies… I am very sorry about the situation with Felix, but as others have said, surely family can help, or they can get a loan? I can’t understand why the boarding place is withholding the bird, especially since it involves a friend. The only thing that I can think of is feeding fees that is owed. Was there some kind of document signed?You mention they both have jobs now, so they just might have to save up some money, budget, and make sacrifices to get him back.

You’re too nice, don’t even bother replying, smells like a scam !

Its not a scam, my friends only asked me to post the situation and ask for help and thats what I did. I dont blame anyone for being reluctant to help, its perfectly understandable. I dont know all of the details on the situation all I know is what I was told, which is what I posted. Its not my personal problem and in this post I was only trying to help a friend because they asked me to and I feel bad for them. I would really appreciate it if you didnt accuse me of trying to scam people. Its a horrible situation regardless of how it came about and while people arent willing/able to contribute, which is understandable and expected, you dont have to be rude or accuse me of theft when its not even about me. Thanks.

thelonelysnake wrote:Its not a scam, my friends only asked me to post the situation and ask for help and thats what I did. I dont blame anyone for being reluctant to help, its perfectly understandable. I dont know all of the details on the situation all I know is what I was told, which is what I posted. Its not my personal problem and in this post I was only trying to help a friend because they asked me to and I feel bad for them. I would really appreciate it if you didnt accuse me of trying to scam people. Its a horrible situation regardless of how it came about and while people arent willing/able to contribute, which is understandable and expected, you dont have to be rude or accuse me of theft when its not even about me. Thanks.Very well put !!

Well, sorry about the offense if this is indeed true.But you know, you only ave a few posts on this forum and you ask for money… This is the equivalent to meeting a few peoplr and 10 minutes later, asking them to give you money to help with some problem you have.It’s just not the way to go. You sound and look bad.

I’m just a newbie here as well and I have to tell you that this thread made me squirm a little. I can understand being suspicious and I can see why people would be reluctant to donate. However, I don’t think asking for help is the equivalent of pressuring strangers for money. There were a few helpful suggestions here, but also a hint of unkindness. I’ve seen this on a few other threads and it’s concerning to me. The purpose of this forum is to share information and learn from each other, is it not? I’ve had birds for over 15 years. I currently volunteer with a parrot rescue and I worked and volunteered for another for 3 years before that. I have found that the way to teach people, to help people, and to help birds is to do so in a way that makes a person feel empowered. Making a person feel foolish achieves nothing. I remember when I brought my first little Cockatiel home from a friend’s house (she’d found him in a tree). I didn’t know a dang thing. I was lucky to find people who were kind and excited to share their knowledge. I’ve noticed on several threads when someone new is asking for advice that sometimes the “voice” of the responder is harsher than it needs to be. I believe I have learned a lot about birds over the years, particularly the last four when I have taken in parrots that were deemed “unadoptable.” I have learned patience. I’ve learned that I sure as heck don’t know everything and I listen to what other people have to say even if I don’t agree with it. I’ve learned there is no such thing as an “unadoptable” bird if one is willing to spend a little time and keep a sense of humor. And I’ve learned that positive reinforcement works as well with people as it does with animals. Kudos to you, thelonelysnake, for trying to help your friends. They are lucky to have you in their lives.

Well put LisaB ! Thank you !