Purring Parrot?

My makes a strange purring sound when she is on my shoulder at times. I am assuming this is an expression of her contentment… it’s when she is relaxed. Do other parrots do this?

Is it purring or is he grinding his beak. Beak grinding is normal and is a sign of contentment. Ekkies are known for humming as in hummmmmm.

Nika purrs and so does kili normal and happy

Micheal, kili’s beak is so shiny. ooo, shiny…

Eurycerus wrote:Nika purrs and so does kili normal and happyOh good! Glad to know Michael wrote:Yes, that is the exact same sound Tiki makes! Thank you, Michael

Wait a sec though, purring does not explicitly mean the parrot is happy. Like eye pinning, it is linked to a state of heightened excitement. This can be the excitement of being reunited or handled by the favorite person but it could also be a pre-attack kind of excitement. Context is critical. Also I’ve heard a rumor that only female Senegal Parrots purr.

LPolliard wrote:Is it purring or is he grinding his beak. Beak grinding is normal and is a sign of contentment. Ekkies are known for humming as in hummmmmm.It’s the same purring sound that Kili makes in the video. She beak grinds, too.Michael wrote:Wait a sec though, purring does not explicitly mean the parrot is happy. Like eye pinning, it is linked to a state of heightened excitement. This can be the excitement of being reunited or handled by the favorite person but it could also be a pre-attack kind of excitement. Context is critical. Also I’ve heard a rumor that only female Senegal Parrots purr. Interesting. I’ve noticed Tiki makes this sound particularly while relaxed, like Kili in the video.Also interesting that only female sennies are thought to do this? Wonder if it’s used also to attract a mate?