Read african grey's ring

Hi,Can anyone help me please What does my african grey parrot’s gold ring mean?15 HJ 617Thanx in advance. Mina

The 15 is probably year of birth. 2015. Is this a closed band?

It is very difficult to know for certain what anything means on these bands du to the lack of any standardized system having ever been established. Generally speaking with a closed, solid band it shows that the bird was hatched in the country that it is currently living and the year of that hatching, This is due to the fact that the proper band can only be placed on the bird at a certain age, which is just a few days old, I believe. The two digit number for the year of birth is usually turned sideways from any other numbers or lettering on the band. The letters usually have something to due with the Breeder identification and to discover that you have to find out who the bird was registered with, if it was actually registered at all and any other numbers or letters have to do with the breeders records on the birds parentage if that was ever kept. There are really no laws regulating the banding of our parrots and no standard registry or standard system. A split band is and was used by the wildlife department to signify a bird that was imported from another country and those records are also for the most part missing or unavailable to us.

Thanx all for ur help

Navre wrote:The 15 is probably year of birth. 2015. Is this a closed band?Yes closed one

There should be several posting about the bands used on parrots in this section as well as in Parrot Species and I think in the Parrot tales section. We actually have a working search box on this forum so if you type in a word such as band or ring when in these sections you should get a listing for that word and be able to find the topics. I am telling you this because there is more information in those postings such as places that you can contact to see if they have any information about the band on your bird. I hope this helps you.

Wolf wrote:There should be several posting about the bands used on parrots in this section as well as in Parrot Species and I think in the Parrot tales section. We actually have a working search box on this forum so if you type in a word such as band or ring when in these sections you should get a listing for that word and be able to find the topics. I am telling you this because there is more information in those postings such as places that you can contact to see if they have any information about the band on your bird. I hope this helps you.Thanks Wolf, I will search about it.

I don’t recall which posts, but I do recall that there was information that should be useful, such as band manufactures that could have registries and a couple of registries. Allow me a few days, as this is a very busy time of the year for me and I will see what I can find for you.

Wolf wrote:I don’t recall which posts, but I do recall that there was information that should be useful, such as band manufactures that could have registries and a couple of registries. Allow me a few days, as this is a very busy time of the year for me and I will see what I can find for you. thanx WolfWell, the only thing i am sure from is that my new parrot is still baby around 5 or 6 months and his eyes color is dark grey. So the 15 is for sure the year of birth.