Red Lored Amazon

I rescued a Red Lored Amazon thats 16yrs old…When i first got him he took to me right away, tried to feed me the whole works. Very friendly to everyone…That was about 2 weeks ago and since then he won’t come out of his cage, he won’t step up, he will nip at me if i get to close and he will bite my daughter something he never did before…If he comes out of the cage on his own he seems alright with me but no one else…I have noticed that his eyes dialate more than they did before…I have had him for about 2 months…The last family kept him closed up in a closet when they were at work because “he got a little loud” I won’t say here what i wanted to do to them…I can’t understand why it has been such an about face, nothing has changed that i’m aware of…Any help would beappreciated.Kay : Tony

kbirk1950 wrote:I rescued a Red Lored Amazon thats 16yrs old…When i first got him he took to me right away, tried to feed me the whole works. Very friendly to everyone…That was about 2 weeks ago and since then he won’t come out of his cage, he won’t step up, he will nip at me if i get to close and he will bite my daughter something he never did before…If he comes out of the cage on his own he seems alright with me but no one else…I have noticed that his eyes dialate more than they did before…I have had him for about 2 months…The last family kept him closed up in a closet when they were at work because “he got a little loud” I won’t say here what i wanted to do to them…I can’t understand why it has been such an about face, nothing has changed that i’m aware of…Any help would beappreciated.Kay : TonyI am having a similar problem with my caique!!! I think he could just be preparing to molt, maybe? Just be patient with him, lots of talking to him, lots of attention. I hope he comes around soon!

Sounds like the “honey moon” period is over. A lot of times birds take time to settle into their new home, once that happens you get see the bird’s real behavior (and associated problems).Poor guy, cooped up in a closet Sounds like he probably wasn’t socialized properly (being kept in a closet and all). Parrots are very unforgiving of maltreatment and it takes time to teach them that you’re different, that you will keep up you promises (unlike his previous owners). Go slow. and see this article http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227

I’ve read that this happens when a bird realizes that being around you isn’t just a temporary field trip. But a permanent thing… They eventually wake up and realize “Hey I’m actually gonna have to stay here and deal with these people” So just work on it and don’t push things too fast.

thats terrible!! if you are going to get an amazon, realize they can be as loud as macaws at times! sheesh. yes it sounds like the honey moon period is over, just keep trying, and offer lots of treats and love!! he will want a buddy to be with eventually.