Rio-A single lovebird

Lovebirds are supposed to be in pairs-I dont know how many homes Rio had been in but in his first home he was attacked by a larger parrot thats how he got his cracked beak and the woman I got him from she had his mate there too she had separated them because she would attack him and now that he lives with me he has the company of two cockatiels that he gets on rather well with and talks to Tiko from their cages as he can hear her making lovebird sounds Tiko also mimics the cockatiels.I think hes very happy what do you guys think about him being single?

I had a single Love Bird named Tweetle Dee. His buddy Tweetle Dumb got sick and the vet could not help him. Tweetle Dumb died and Tweetle Dee mourned for about a week. Then he wanted in with the Cockatiels. That did not work because the Cockatiels were so passive that he pushed them around. He seemed to perk up and play with his toys. He moved his furniture around in the cage and chewed up everything I gave him. When I opened cages I let him fly with the Cockatiels and he seemed happy. The Cockatiels did not want him in their cage but they accepted him as a fellow bird and they all enjoyed being in the same room.Tweetle Dee seemed happy but I knew he missed his buddy. At the time I could not find another to rescue so I found a human with a single Love Bird who wanted another. The last I heard they had become good friends.Tweetle Dee was a very smart little bird and even premeditated things he did. I can only assume that all are that smart. Give him the respect you would give a big bird. There is a very big bird in that little body.

liz wrote:I had a single Love Bird named Tweetle Dee. His buddy Tweetle Dumb got sick and the vet could not help him. Tweetle Dumb died and Tweetle Dee mourned for about a week. Then he wanted in with the Cockatiels. That did not work because the Cockatiels were so passive that he pushed them around. He seemed to perk up and play with his toys. He moved his furniture around in the cage and chewed up everything I gave him. When I opened cages I let him fly with the Cockatiels and he seemed happy. The Cockatiels did not want him in their cage but they accepted him as a fellow bird and they all enjoyed being in the same room.Tweetle Dee seemed happy but I knew he missed his buddy. At the time I could not find another to rescue so I found a human with a single Love Bird who wanted another. The last I heard they had become good friends.Tweetle Dee was a very smart little bird and even premeditated things he did. I can only assume that all are that smart. Give him the respect you would give a big bird. There is a very big bird in that little body.Sorry to hear about Tweetle dum im sure they had good times together and had you Alice as a great owner.Rio is always playing in his cage and he loves throwing around the plastic balls at the bottom of his cage you know the ones with the little bell inside.

I don’t have any love birds, but they appear to be remarkably similar overall to parrotlets. I had Keeta for about a year before I got Rajah for her so I have observed her both singly and alone. While Rajah is still not ready to be touched, Keeta actually demands her time out with me. I am struck with how much biting is a part of their lives. They bite everything that they can get their beaks on and try to bite everything else. It appears that biting is actually a part of how they communicate with each other. Because of the observation I would urge caution, and suggest that if you do try to get him a mate that you get a female that is as laid back as you can find and keep a cage for her right next to his, in case she is still too rough for him. It appears that the female is the more aggressive of the two. You have never shown us how badly his beak is cracked and that must be taken into account with this choice, because of the biting that they do. I would love to see him with a mate, but I don’t want to see him injured further and that is the reason that I suggested a spare cage for her next to his. I think that I would take the time as well to speak to your vet and get his/ her opinion on this as well as what to watch for to prevent further injury to his beak.

Wolf wrote:I don’t have any love birds, but they appear to be remarkably similar overall to parrotlets. I had Keeta for about a year before I got Rajah for her so I have observed her both singly and alone. While Rajah is still not ready to be touched, Keeta actually demands her time out with me. I am struck with how much biting is a part of their lives. They bite everything that they can get their beaks on and try to bite everything else. It appears that biting is actually a part of how they communicate with each other. Because of the observation I would urge caution, and suggest that if you do try to get him a mate that you get a female that is as laid back as you can find and keep a cage for her right next to his, in case she is still too rough for him. It appears that the female is the more aggressive of the two. You have never shown us how badly his beak is cracked and that must be taken into account with this choice, because of the biting that they do. I would love to see him with a mate, but I don’t want to see him injured further and that is the reason that I suggested a spare cage for her next to his. I think that I would take the time as well to speak to your vet and get his/ her opinion on this as well as what to watch for to prevent further injury to his beak.Ill get a picture for you of his beak he was at the vet the day after I brought him home and they said if his previous owner brought him to the vet when it happened he could have got it joined back together.

There see his beak it dosent look bad you can see his nose and stuff and he eats and breathes fine but the vet did tell me if he has any breathing problems to bring him straight in.

Explore Brandon Faustino

that looks pretty bad and it would not take very much for any other bird to tear half of his upper mandible off. I would first check to see if the vet can do anything to fix or at least repair some of the damage. I would be afraid of getting him a mate without some sort of repairs on this beak.

Wolf wrote:that looks pretty bad and it would not take very much for any other bird to tear half of his upper mandible off. I would first check to see if the vet can do anything to fix or at least repair some of the damage. I would be afraid of getting him a mate without some sort of repairs on this beak.lI dont have any plans on getting him a mate I asked the vet can he repair it and he said you dont need to if its just for looks and he said it would be painful.

Has he been DNA’d a male or are you just going by what you were told about him? Because if he is a male, you could get him an older male as a companion. Male lovies do very well with other males, it’s the females that are aggressive.Just a comment, Wolf, plets and lovies ARE very similar BUT plets are usually hand-fed while lovies are not and that makes a lot of difference in their approach to humans.

Pajarita wrote:Has he been DNA’d a male or are you just going by what you were told about him? Because if he is a male, you could get him an older male as a companion. Male lovies do very well with other males, it’s the females that are aggressive.Just a comment, Wolf, plets and lovies ARE very similar BUT plets are usually hand-fed while lovies are not and that makes a lot of difference in their approach to humans.No hes not DNA’d im going by what I was told about him and he did breed with his mate.I have been thinking maybe his mate was attacking him because she wanted to breed again because the first tims they mated it wasnt successful.