RV'ing with parrots

Hi everybody… I have a Meyer’s who we take with us when we go camping in our trailer. I’m contemplating about getting another parrot…either a CAG or an Amazon. I know that they will very loud …esp in the am/pm. Does anybody take their larger parrot in their RV? Most campsites are pretty close together and I’m sure I would not be very popular if it were to wake up other campers. Thanks,Animal lover and Jojo

You can ask Mona and lzver cause I know they’ve taken their parrots RVing. Especially Mona with 5 parrots!

My family owns a campground actually. We had a family who always brought their Congo Grey camping in their trailer. He was an enthralling bird, and a natural camper. Even offered me a beer once or twice. As long as you’re careful about keeping your bird on a harness when he’s outside the trailer, you should be fine. It’s a great opportunity for socialization and exposing your bird to new experiences.

i used to take my and camping with my cousin’s they loved it and weren’t to loud for the other campers.the only problem we had was when the camp owner scared my up into a tree with his golf cart then joked about me getting him down before week was over.this was somthing he did all the time he was trained for outdoor freeflight.

Depending on where you are, I don’t think the birds will bother the other campers. Campgrounds are pretty noisy places, in my experience. In the woodsy-type camp grounds, you generally have loads of crows scavenging and “cawing”. Also, lots of campers (around here anyway) like to go jogging early in the morning with their dogs, which are usually the small, yappy dogs or the really huge ones with a booming bark. (How do people fit a great dane in their pop-up tent???) My dad brings a supply of earplugs when we go camping.

We have two african greys and three Senegals.Last year, we probably were at over a dozen different RV parks. No problems at all.Noise was never an issue. It’s fun but the birds should be socialized and you have to take necessary precautions to make sure they don’t get loose and that their cages are bungied down. I love travelling with my birds!I wrote a little about RV’ing on my website so you can read about it there.Mona

Mona wrote:I wrote a little about RV’ing on my website so you can read about it there.Cool! I hadn’t seen this! Looks like a lot of fun. Do you bring about a screened tent to use as an aviary when you are stopped at a location for a bit so the birds can fly around? How do they get along in these more confined conditions? Are they more restless because they are in tighter cages and longer?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to another great year of camping. I’ll be sure to check out your website Mona Sarah and Jojo

Michael asked:"Cool! I hadn’t seen this! Looks like a lot of fun. Do you bring about a screened tent to use as an aviary when you are stopped at a location for a bit so the birds can fly around? How do they get along in these more confined conditions? Are they more restless because they are in tighter cages and longer?"Well, we don’t really use any sort of aviary when we are travelling. We try to keep everything as simple as possible and I don’t want to take any chances they could escape confines in an unfamiliar place. They are absolutely fine in the RV. I think Senegals are especially fine with their cages as long as you have tons of toys and chewables and lots of interesting food. Senegals are one of the best species for keeping themselves entertained. I try to get big, interesting foraging toys for Phinney. She likes those toys that look like a small cargo net but are filled with tissue paper. It’s a huge mess but she enjoys playing with that for hours. Nobody appears particularly restless. Of course, they are all very well socialized so they don’t get nervous. The only problem is that they just want to hang out on top of us as much as possible…so you can’t get anything done when they are out (like cleaning or reading or computer work). Just like home, we try to get them out once a day to use their wings but if we are travelling, they are probably expending a lot of energy any way from the movement of the vehicle, so I don’t worry about it too much. I guess the rule of thumb for us is: When travelling, have lots of toys and chewables. The birds don’t get out as much as at home so we try a little harder to make sure their cages are entertaining. The best part for me is that I have them with me.

I will be getting a Meyers in two weeks, who I’m planning on taking camping in my small RV…I’m currently looking at cages for the camper, so, can you tell me what size cage you use?..I have two budgies (they won’t be camping), but this Meyers will be my first bigger bird…thanks.