Some questions before I purchase my first budgie

Hello everyone,My name is Brandi and I’m new here. I’m strongly considering purchasing my first budgie in the near future. I do plan to socialize and bond with my new budgie and I only plan on getting one…to start anyway. lol So I have a few questions that hopefully I can get answers to before I bring home my new feathery friend.1. Are there specific behaviors to look for that may suggest a particular bird may be more outgoing and willing to bond? For example, when I’m purchasing trail horses, I look for a confident horse that is curious, but not worried about his surroundings. 2. I have read that there are certain colors of birds that may have poor eyesight such as Albinos. Is that true? Are there any other colors to be aware of that may produce health problems?3. I would prefer a male budgie, and I understand that you cant really tell the sex until they are a little older and the cere has developed its color. That means that I will probably be purchasing an older bird. What are the chances of developing a meaningful bond with an older bird? Is there ever a bird that is just to old to bond with?4. I have a Rat Terrier, and I’m concerned how the new bird will react to her. The dog will not be a bother to the bird as far as barking or trying to eat it. She is a well trained and well mannered dog. Can budgies co-exist with other animals?Thank you to anyone who takes the time to answer any of my questions!

hi Brandi, welcome to the forum,I just recently offered advice to someone else on many of these same questions, in the following thread:viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9625yes, you can definitely form a bond with an older budgie. and budgies form bonds quickly. once he’s comfortable and settled down, i am sure he will bond with you. read up on this forum and the forum owner michael’s blog on how to train, and target train your bird. training is a fantastic way to bond with your bird.i think other forum members would be better able to advise you on how to manage your new bird in the same house as your Rat Terrier, and what you should do with regards to safety, etc, in having a bird and a dog in the same household. being in a multi-pet household makes it all the more important for you to keep your bird fully flighted. browse through the forum owner’s blog and read about all the pro’s of keeping a bird flighted, including safety. all the best

Hi brandi, welcome to the forums. first of all, where are you getting your bird? some things to look for in getting a bird in general are: bright clear eyes, clear cere, sleek feathers that aren’t puffed up, chirping and making noise, hopping and flapping around the enclosure, not being aggressive towards any other birds ect. it is around.i don’t think there is any age too old for a bird to bond. they are flock animals and seek out attention from their kind, and can easily bond with some diligent training. i don’t know much about the colors, so i am afraid i can’t help you there. regarding your dog, it would be a very bad idea to have them out together at the same time, no matter how trained your dog is. the way dogs play is snapping their jaws next to the animal they are playing with, and it wouldn’t take much to crush your birdie. i do believe that budgies can get along with most other birds, but the only ones that you can house with them are other budgies and cockatiels, as the both originate from Australia. i hope Ii helped, and good luck!

pionus wrote:regarding your dog, it would be a very bad idea to have them out together at the same time, no matter how trained your dog is. the way dogs play is snapping their jaws next to the animal they are playing with, and it wouldn’t take much to crush your birdie. + 1