Sprouting seeds

I started sprouting seeds for my Tiels I hope they eat it.Does anybody else sprout seeds if so what sprouting brand do you use.

I have never really done this for my birds and should make time to look into it closer.

Me too.My daughter keeps buying dry beans in bulk. She never takes time to soak and cook them. Sprouting for the birds will be a good way of using them up.Whoever has done this please respond. Do you use dirt or just sprout in water?

liz wrote:Me too.My daughter keeps buying dry beans in bulk. She never takes time to soak and cook them. Sprouting for the birds will be a good way of using them up.Whoever has done this please respond. Do you use dirt or just sprout in water?You sprout in water if you google how to sprout bird seed you will find lots if websites I got directions from birdtricks.com

I sprout a mix made by ABBA for passerines called ‘Soaking mixture for small birds’. I only do it during breeding and molting season and, although it is meant to be just for canaries (the seeds are small) and they, as well as the cardinals, quails and finches get it straight from the jar, I also mix it into the gloop about twice a week once they start showing a bit of green on the tips. I’ve been pestering ABBA’s owner to start putting together a sprouting mix for parrots (with bigger seeds) but he hasn’t done it yet. I use a glass jar for it and I just soak them in warm water for 24 hours and then empty the water and allow it to sprout for 3 days or so but you need to remember to rinse it thoroughly every 12 hours. Any seed can be sprouted as long as it’s fresh but I don’t like to do beans.