Starting a club

I am getting tired of people not understanding my passion. The only people I interact with are so ignorant they think my budgies eat worms. I have been considering starting a parrot club so I can hang out with some people who don’t hyperventilate when my bird poops on them lol. I don’t really know how to go about it though. Suggestions?

You can start by searching for existing clubs and online groups. There are more than you think but they are poorly marketed.

Before we had the internet and birdsites on it, we used to have bird clubs. I was very active in one in Manhattan that had people come over and do chats, workshops, seminars, etc. as well as maintain a website. We even had Dr. Pepperberg come over once (never again, it was a real bad experience). Problem is, people who own birds nowadays just use the Internet because the greatest majority of the clubs are mostly breeders (not the one I belonged to, it was completely against it) but I would not mind belonging to a club as long as it was not too far away from where I am (Northeast Jersey).

Well also cause the bird clubs are boring. Oftentimes it’s just a bunch of old people sitting around talking about their problems and nothing to do with birds. At least in my NYC Parrot Adventures Group we all take our birds out on harnesses and go places around the city!

http://NYCPAG.com

I have never been part of a bird club, but it seems to me that if they are boring that it is because the members allow it to be boring, probably through lack of planning.

The one I belonged to was not boring at all. We had monthly meetings (people were allowed to bring their birds but I did not agree with it) and there were always 2 or 3 scheduled talkers, sometimes an avian vet, sometimes a trainer, sometimes somebody like me (I used to give chats on canary keeping and diet). We also had known bird ‘professionals’ but, when we did, we would use another venue (like a library, for example). Occasionally, we had special outings like a hike in Central Park, learning about edible weeds and such. We had raffles, adoption events and drives to benefit a different rescue each time. AND, we had Flight Days where everybody could bring their parrot to fly and socialize with other parrots but it was indoor (in a huge church that was vacant). It was a great club with lots of members! But the lady who ran it had ‘issues’ and had to close it which was a real shame.

I wanted to start one in the UK, there’s only about five or so in the whole country that I’m aware of and they’re all pretty far away. Figure I’d be biting off more than I could chew if I attempted to create a club on my own, finding other enthusiasts, finding a parrot friendly meeting place, setting rules, excetra. Still, if starting a parrot club is really what you want to do, I’d say good luck and please let us know how it goes, .You might be best either talking to or going to at least one parrot club first though, so you can get an idea of how it’s run.

JaydeParrot wrote:I wanted to start one in the UK, there’s only about five or so in the whole country that I’m aware of and they’re all pretty far away. Figure I’d be biting off more than I could chew if I attempted to create a club on my own, finding other enthusiasts, finding a parrot friendly meeting place, setting rules, excetra. Still, if starting a parrot club is really what you want to do, I’d say good luck and please let us know how it goes, .You might be best either talking to or going to at least one parrot club first though, so you can get an idea of how it’s run.I think there are probably a load that your unaware of because there are 3 within travelling distance to myself. I think there will be loads of places that don’t have one nearby but there is definitely more than 5. Rosemary low runs the one most local to me (or at least she did when I spoke to her at think parrots). Check out the parrot society website and also rescues/sanctuaries as starting points.

marie83 wrote:I think there are probably a load that your unaware of because there are 3 within travelling distance to myself. I think there will be loads of places that don’t have one nearby but there is definitely more than 5. Rosemary low runs the one most local to me (or at least she did when I spoke to her at think parrots). Check out the parrot society website and also rescues/sanctuaries as starting points.Maybe, can’t say I’ve been able to find any so far. I haven’t seen you post on the forum in a while, is it ok to ask what happened in regards to your topic ‘this can’t be happening’ did your birds get to stay with you, I hope they did.

JaydeParrot wrote:marie83 wrote:I think there are probably a load that your unaware of because there are 3 within travelling distance to myself. I think there will be loads of places that don’t have one nearby but there is definitely more than 5. Rosemary low runs the one most local to me (or at least she did when I spoke to her at think parrots). Check out the parrot society website and also rescues/sanctuaries as starting points.Maybe, can’t say I’ve been able to find any so far. I haven’t seen you post on the forum in a while, is it ok to ask what happened in regards to your topic ‘this can’t be happening’ did your birds get to stay with you, I hope they did.Roughly what area are you in and i’ll see if I can help find one near you when I get chance, I’m just off to bed in the next few mins.The birds are still here, so far we’ve managed with my bf meeting the kids away from our home. It means he only gets to see them a few hours here and there though which his ex is lovingand frankly we need another way because we can’t afford to keep taking them out.ETA Feel free to PM if you like, I would completely understand you not wanting the whole world to have an idea of where you live, I like being fairly anonymous. Even a general area (North east instead of mentioning a county or a town) would be of use to help find a club.