Stop bird masturbating and accept new bird

Hello,I have two problems. My Amazon, Monica, frequently tries to masturbate. I have had her for 5 years and she apparently is too attached to me and thinks I am her mate?2nd problem. I recently took in a lilac crown amazon for a friend. Monica is extremely aggressive toward this bird and will fly to me and try to attack her if she is on my shoulder. Thanks for any help!Betty

Hey Betty,I see you haven’t gotten any responses yet ,so i throw out my 2 cents worth.I all ways tell people who are adding a 2nd amazon to get the bird for themselves, not their pet. Zons mate for life and don’t like to share. I have about 50 and some of them for more than 40 yrs.There’s exceptions to every rule , but having amazons bonded to a human and friends with other birds is not the norm.Yes i have very well socialized zons that are bonded to me and except some others if i’m not around,but that’s unusual.If those birds are hormonal (your hen) forget them getting along with any other bird.This is the wrong season to be introducing any new birds as pets,breeders OK,pets ,no. You need to have a little insight into natural behavior of amazons. They leave their flock and begin nesting in the dry season in the tropics (about now).This is the time of the year when green growth and plant matter is scarce. They eat seeds and nuts which are high in fat.High Fat = breeding season.Because we feed our zons too much high fat foods and don’t exercise them ,they have extra fat on them. High Fat=breeding season.I don’t know the age of your hen but hens usually keep their hormonal issues later in life than males.Don’t complain about a masturbating hen,you could have a biting ,masturbating male.A health young mature hen should be acting this way this time of the year.It shouldn’t however last more than a month or two.The extra fat might be bringing on the hormones,weigh your bird regularly and know what a healthy weight is. Feel free to contact me if you wish to learn more about your amazons. Here is a link that is kind of long but is a good read for hormonal zon owners. http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/hor … birds-pt-1

http://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/hormonal-behavior-in-pet-birds-pt-1

hi betty, i’ve never had this problem my amazon just flew over to the neighbors when we got a new pet, he would pout for the night and come back the next day.how much attention is the new bird getting? i’ve read you can limit the daylight to calm the hormones during breeding season which i’ve started doing with my cockatoo since she thinks my boyfriend is her mate and so far it’s working.were they playmates before the visit?my aunt and cousin travel and they needed me to take care of their birds so we did regular play dates before the sitting started to get them used to being together with my amazon.

Thank you for responding. I took in the amazon for a friend who is starting interferon treatment out of state. It is supposed to be temporary but not sure she will really be able to take her back. She seems to be quite young. She sits and wants to be hand fed like a chick. She is very unsure of herself. Anyway, I am absolutely torn about what to do. She is so sweet. I don’t know if it would be best to find her a new home, which I really hate to pass her on again. I also took her little GC conure who is also very sweet. Both the conure and amazon are quite attached to me. I don’t think they had hardly any attention with my friend and just seem starved for attention, which is driving my Amazon crazy. What would you do?ThanksBetty

Two amazons can live in the same house. They may never be buddys but will get used to each other. I am constantly yelling "Rambo, leave her alone" "Myrtle, you be nice to him". Even though it is a non stop like a 6 year old brother and a 2 year old sister they call to each other when in different rooms. When they are in the same room playing or eating they have a "da da" communication.Basically I am trying to teach them to respect each others space.

I have limited time in the morning before I leave for work and then just the evening to give all these animals attention. They all want to be on my shoulder. As you can see I don’t have experience with how to handle multiple birds that all want to be on shoulder and just beg and beg. I think Monica would seriously hurt this little amazon if she could get ahold of her. She can sit with a couple feet of her and just sit there. How should I handle all this?

First bird was used to full attention. First bird should get first attention. When you bring a new baby home you put it down and hug the toddler. You make sure the older baby knows it gets special love that the baby does not get. As for shoulders - Myrtle claims my left shoulder so Rambo rides on my right one.I have:1 invalid mother1 invalid aunt5 house dogs1 boxer puppy2 boxers in the back yard5 cats ranging in age from 14 years old to 2 years old2 Amazons6 cockatiels2 lovebirdsYes I am tired. Each one gets it’s share of love and attention according to who needs it most at the time. None complain about not getting enough.

Thank you. Of course I should have thought of that. Yes you certainly have a house full. My hat is off to you:)