Stop Conure Chewing my Computer

Hey Guys,I was wondering how to stop my green cheek conure trying to chew my computer. I’ve tried distracting him with other toys, moving him away when he does it and even tapping him to make him stop but nothing seems to stop him.Do you guys have any good effective ways to stop naughty/unwanted behaviour?Thanks Emily & Yoyo

ah…a great question…the answer for which I am still searching for… had/have the same problem with my GCC. my theory is that when they are doing it right in front of you, its an attention-getting tactic. mine does it whenever he is denied being surgically attached to me, or runs out of things to do on his own. i am also stumped as to what to do, because interacting with him to pull him away from the computer chewing is a reward.i don’t think using the word “no” works, i’ve heard that verbal reprimands are understood by the birds as a fun interactive thing, and actually reinforces the behavior. i’ve always been lazy and allowed him to cling to the front of my shirt while i work on my computer, as this keeps him happy enough not to chew on the cord/keys, and he’s happy to be there for a long time sometimes, while i get work done. but i know this is not a solution. its also not teaching him the well-mannered independent behavior that i want him to learn. so like you, I would really appreciate advice on this!!

…and my green cheek is another computer destroyer. I use a laptop and he has piece by piece ripped all the rubber stops/protecter things from around the screen and tries to pull out memory sticks or bite the charger cable. I think they key is to distract them before they start, I do believe it is an attention seeking behaviour because he doesn’t really do it with anything else (except for us in the early days). I work on my laptop alot, I tend to spend some time giving him one on one atention, fill up the foraging toys and then get to work. Or a bath before I start working helps as he will just sit quietly on top of his cage or on my shoulder and doesn’t move for an hour or so, obviously water and electrics dont mix any better with a bird thrown into the mix so make sure GCC isn’t soaked and pay good attention thsat s/he doesn’t move near the computer. The other alternative is I type one handed anyway so the other hand is free to give the odd head scratch or beak rub, he will gladly sit on my knee most of the time now and wait, only problem with that is I can’t see his body language when i’m looking at the computer so I’m a bit more at risk of getting a bite.I think where a few people go wrong with trying distraction methods is that distraction after the behaviour started could be seen as a reward. The key is to predict and prevent the behaviour before it starts.

marie83 wrote:he has piece by piece ripped all the rubber stops/protecter things yup. mine did this. while squealing, as if there was some personal offense taken at the sight of those stoppers. marie83 wrote:Or a bath before I start working helps as he will just sit quietly on top of his cage or on my shoulder and doesn’t move for an hour or so, ah…the bath strategy. Great suggestion. this is definitely a handy tool in the “keep the GCC busy” toolbox.i have also found that placing a fully soaked GCC in front of a sunny window is helpful. there’s something about warm sunshine on them while being soaked that really gets them occupied and distracted from what youre doing.

friend2parrots wrote: yup. mine did this. while squealing, as if there was some personal offense taken at the sight of those stoppers. Haha sorry this cracked me up. ollie managed to do it without the squealing part, although he did start chuntering at me when removed. Still laughing, sorry… lol

I’ll definitely try more toys and the bath thing, hopefully that’ll keep him at bay. My old cockateil chewed the stoppers off my old laptop, and with a new laptop recently I dont want it to happen again lol! So with GCCs really the only way to stop unwanted behaviours is to really reinforce the positive behaviours? I’ve just started to train him to do tricks, hopefully he’ll get more into that and less into destroying everything I own lol

Out of sight and out of mind. I throw a sheet over my desk when not at my computer. Then I only lift it so my printer and modem are still covered while I work.