Taming a scared plum headed parakeet

So first I started off with step up from a perch and he’s doing that ok I started this today and he’s really scared of my hand.I wanna go back a step and get him to eat from my hand so then I know he trusts me and I can move on to step up so far since I got him in Sunday he hasn’t eaten yet he was eating millet that I hanged from the cage.So how can I get him to trust me and eat from my hand should I start by just leaving my hand in the cage a few minutes each day until he gets used to it.I remember with Rocko I put a trail of seeds on the floor and he followed them to my hand of course he was a little scared and backing away and coming back again.Also Mango (Plum headed Parakeet) is fully flighted and I do not intend on clipping his wings.

Best thing you can do right now is nothing but spend time in the same room he is. Don’t look at him, don’t ask him to step up, just talk, sing, whistle, put a treat near him, etc. Put his cage in a corner at eye level and don’t approach it unless you have to clean it and put food and water in it. He needs to start feeling comfortable in his new surroundings before you can start interacting with him in any way… especially if he is not even eating!

Pajarita wrote:Best thing you can do right now is nothing but spend time in the same room he is. Don’t look at him, don’t ask him to step up, just talk, sing, whistle, put a treat near him, etc. Put his cage in a corner at eye level and don’t approach it unless you have to clean it and put food and water in it. He needs to start feeling comfortable in his new surroundings before you can start interacting with him in any way… especially if he is not even eating!I put him in the travel cage and im just sitting beside him I noticed when he sees my hand coming near him he starts eating from the food bowl so hes eating now lol.He wont take treats from me just yet ill just sit near him and talk to him and spend time with the tiels too and he can watch how I interact with them.

I am thinking that you are going a little to fast and not allowing him the chance to relax and start getting accustomed to his new environment or to you.

Wolf wrote:I am thinking that you are going a little to fast and not allowing him the chance to relax and start getting accustomed to his new environment or to you.Im not going fast im doing what your supposed to do in the first step let them get used to their surroundings and just talk to him and feed him treats and thats what I have been doing he now eats from his bowls and preens and sleeps which he didnt feel safe to do before and also he is not wild he is just a little scared and he hardly flys away anymore so hes getting used to me.

Also I have given him 2 showers since I got him which he enjoyed and im gonna continue with my training now getting him more used to me by feeding him.

I can understand your excitement of getting a new bird and it’s something we all go through listen to what wolf is saying it’s an excellent peace of advice. I would take a step back no matter how frustrating it is for you at this stage but remember these birds are long live so you have plenty of time you just need To have a little more patience

Toggsy wrote:I can understand your excitement of getting a new bird and it’s something we all go through listen to what wolf is saying it’s an excellent peace of advice. I would take a step back no matter how frustrating it is for you at this stage but remember these birds are long live so you have plenty of time you just need To have a little more patience See thats exactly the reason why i get annoyed with people Wolf didnt give me any advice if you read what I said you can see im already doing what Pajarita told me to do so Wolf just said exactly what im doing already.And im not excited I dont wanna rush I wanna be patient and have a tame bird.