Teaching Beak Pressure

So I had the courage today to let Tiko hold my hand and bite on it softly and she has gone a little hard and nipped twice and the only thing that seems to make her go a little gentle is saying “No” or “Go easy” so I’m thinking is there any other way to teach her that its not good behaviour?

What I do is touch the top of the beak with the tip of my finger (kind of like tapping it but very, very gently) and say "Gently, gently" and, when they reduce the pressure, praise them. It takes a number of tries and some time to achieve the desired result (namely, that the bird learns to hold your finger or whatever in her beak without putting undue pressure on it) but it works.

Pajarita wrote:What I do is touch the top of the beak with the tip of my finger (kind of like tapping it but very, very gently) and say "Gently, gently" and, when they reduce the pressure, praise them. It takes a number of tries and some time to achieve the desired result (namely, that the bird learns to hold your finger or whatever in her beak without putting undue pressure on it) but it works.Ill try that next time thanks, Its funny how my stepdad moves in a only then we realise she never needed to be re tamed lol and never was this scary monster we thought needed to stop biting.We should have known like what kind of un tamed biting bird gives kisses before bed and steps up

Ahhh, yes, that’s ‘chemistry’ at work. It has happened to me a few times with animals that are considered ‘nasty’ or aggressive but they just seemed to love me at first sight.