Thanks Wolf and Pajarita

Thanks to wolf and pajarita Tiko’s Diet has improved shes been eating Pellets,Seeds,Veg,Fruit and Grains and eggs and lots of healthy stuff Wolf and Pajarita helped me give her a good diet because she was on an all pellet diet which they told me isnt good and I never knew that and if it wasnt for them Tiko would still be eating pellets all day everyday.My Cockatiels Rocko and Loki are also on a new diet similar to Tiko’s they ate Rice for the first time and loved it.And Tiko has improved so much she is letting me touch her beak sometimes but sometimes snaps we put her on the couch so she can spend time with us she can go on her stand if she wants to but she prefers the couch beside my mam.

How is Tiko’s beak? You haven’t said anything about it in a long time andI would really like to know how she is.

Wolf wrote:How is Tiko’s beak? You haven’t said anything about it in a long time andI would really like to know how she is.I forgot to update you on that its perfectly fine shes back to normal now shes going to get her nails clipped soon they are very sharp.She used to be shy to talk in the same room as other people and now shes always talking.Also is it normal that she dosent make any African grey sounds,Screams she dosent do any of that the only sounds she makes are human sounds.Is that because she was hand reared and didnt have her mother to teach her language.

I am very, very happy to have helped improve your birds’ diets but, my dear, no eggs. They are loaded with protein, fat and, worst of all, bad cholesterol - which is REAL bad for birds because as it’s not present in any of the food they evolved to eat, nature did not give their bodies a mechanism to get rid of it so it accumulates and accumulates…

Pajarita wrote:I am very, very happy to have helped improve your birds’ diets but, my dear, no eggs. They are loaded with protein, fat and, worst of all, bad cholesterol - which is REAL bad for birds because as it’s not present in any of the food they evolved to eat, nature did not give their bodies a mechanism to get rid of it so it accumulates and accumulates…Oh Tiko loves egg they’re only allowed get it once a week or something she dosent get it often sometimes she gets it with some toast.I learn a lot from this forum and im not on it that often.She got her nails trimmed by the vet she didnt make a fuss she was actually very calm.She just had a shower and is relaxing now.

Once a week is too often. My birds get a very small portion of grated hardboiled egg maybe twice a year and ONLY during breeding season. Parrots never eat eggs in the wild. Never.

Pajarita wrote:Once a week is too often. My birds get a very small portion of grated hardboiled egg maybe twice a year and ONLY during breeding season. Parrots never eat eggs in the wild. Never.Guess I should reduce it then what about once a month.

before I found this forum \I ‘googled’ all kinds of things about parrot care, and I too found many sources mentioning egg stuffs as a great, and needed, food source. Now that I have learned otherwise, and you can be sure I backed it up with more googling with more limited parameters in mind, I now know that that much protein is not needed and have long since, thankfully, stopped doing it.

We try very hard to find the right information, searching to find the scientific documentation from as many sources as we can to validate the information as well as applying our experience to the mix, instead of using other less verifiable types of information. We really care about your birds and want you to be able to provide the best possible living conditions for their well being.

ParrotsForLife wrote:Pajarita wrote:Once a week is too often. My birds get a very small portion of grated hardboiled egg maybe twice a year and ONLY during breeding season. Parrots never eat eggs in the wild. Never.Guess I should reduce it then what about once a month.My dear, if she has been getting eggs frequently, I suggest you stop them altogether. Parrots do not need to eat eggs. It does not only NOT benefit them, it’s actually harmful to them.People say a lot of things about bird husbandry on the internet but, personally, I pay them no mind unless I find, upon thorough research from reputable scientific sources, that it matches nature’s way of doing things. Eggs are great nutrition for humans and all omnivores and carnivores but parrots are herbivores and never, ever eat eggs in the wild. Animal protein is not the same as vegetable protein. It takes a completely different set of enzymes to digest it and it requires a digestive mechanism to get rid of the bad cholesterol it always has (except for insect protein which has no bad cholesterol). Eggs are loaded with bad cholesterol. When I had the rescue, I took in a 32 year old female redlored amazon parrot that had creamy white spots in both her eyes. I asked the ex-owner if she knew what they were and she said she had never even noticed them (?) and, as I had never had any other bird with anything similar, I asked the vet when I took her in for her exam and do you know what they were? Blobs of cholesterol! Why? Because she had been fed animal protein for years and the body having no place to send the cholesterol to, ended up creating deposits of it all over the place. Needless to say, her blood cholesterol was super high and her liver and kidneys were in VERY bad shape. She died about a year after despite all my efforts. Thankfully, she died of a heart attack in her sleep and I know because she still had her toes locked around the perch when I found her in the morning. Don’t believe anything you read on the internet and don’t even try to use your ‘common sense’ when it comes to what might be good or bad for birds because we are simply not mentally trained to ‘understand’ other animals other than mammals. Always go to nature, she knows better than we do.