The case against pets

I had to share this with you, guys. For one thing, I laughed until I had tears running down my face with the cats and the dogs thing. But then, when it came to the end and he talked about that poor parrot in his vet’s office, I felt soooo bad… I actually know a parrot that lives (or used to live, this was in Pennsylvania) in the waiting room of a vet’s clinic - terrible practice! Have any of you seen a parrot in a place (like a store) where you know for a fact it’s impossible the poor thing is happy or even comfortable?http://adequateman.deadspin.com/the-cas … 1775015685

Pajarita wrote:I had to share this with you, guys. For one thing, I laughed until I had tears running down my face with the cats and the dogs thing. But then, when it came to the end and he talked about that poor parrot in his vet’s office, I felt soooo bad… I actually know a parrot that lives (or used to live, this was in Pennsylvania) in the waiting room of a vet’s clinic - terrible practice! Have any of you seen a parrot in a place (like a store) where you know for a fact it’s impossible the poor thing is happy or even comfortable?http://adequateman.deadspin.com/the-cas … 1775015685Yes I have seen poor parrots, in stores and offices, where they are frightened by all kinds of people who think nothing of sticking their fingers in the cage or pointing at the parrots. Cats are the biggest problem we have for out native bird species, This link is about the amount of bird mortality that is attributed to dometic cats as a foreign invasive species. http://io9.gizmodo.com/5979891/domestic … ecosystemsThiis is a very objective link, taking all kinds of things into account on the ammount of cat invasion, and its effect on native birds and small mammals and reptiles.http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v4 … s2380.html

I have seen parrots at an all-inclusive hotel in Aruba. While they were nice to look at; Amazon, Green Winged Macaws, Blue and Gold Macaws and Scarlet Macaws. I worried for them because of the poor sleeping schedule, toxins and noise. BUT, the Macaws were paired up, and all were kept in huge spotless stainless cages and fed fresh food every morning. Also, they did roll the cages to an out of the way area each evening. So while not totally terrible, not optimal, but I felt that they (the hotel establishment) cared.

That doesn’t sound TOO bad, Karen. I don’t approve of having parrots as ornaments but, if it’s going to happen, at least try to do good by them, right? But I’ve seen parrots kept in a car service station, for example, and you know there is no way you can keep a parrot happy or healthy in a place like that!

A shopping centre I sometimes go to with Mango there is a African grey who sits in the window of a small gift store on top of a small sized budgie cage.His feathers are in poor condition I think and his cage is filthy not to mention small, I think he gets taken out of the store when it closes though.

The feed store I go to for the horse feed had a BF Amazon in a small cage at the door. Feed stores are very dusty and I had to look close to see he was a BF. He was really dirty. I followed the sounds of cockatiels and went into a back room with no windows. It was dimly lit also. He had most of them in pairs but the single guy was the one singing. He was probably trying to call a mate. They were also dirty.There was no enrichment for these poor things. It is a wonder they did not have respiratory infections.I thought he was trying to rehome them and asked about the single guy. He was trying to sell them for $45 each and willing to split up pairs. (I have paid more than that to rescue from individuals who were not treating them right.) I was discusted with him and I am afraid I showed it. The BF was gone the next time I went and he did not say where he was when I asked.I am tempted to go back and get the single guy but do not want to encourage the practice of keeping them at a feed store to sell.I fear for the pairs that may get separated.

Oh Liz thats just awfull those poor things.

Yes, it is. Birds get the short end of the stick much more often than dogs and cats do…

Liz isnt there anyone you can report that too? Its just not right to keep parrots in those conditions.