The "perfect" pet parrot

I thought I’d start a topic, just for fun, about what qualities that exist in commonly-kept parrot species could hypothetically be “merged” into one breed of parrot that would be an almost-ideal companion for humans. If you could cross-breed every parrot together, what would be your ideal set of characteristics? I can’t really play this myself because I still don’t know other species very well, just what I’ve read. I know in reality this would be neither possible nor ethical, it’s just for fun :p.

Ou know what, I wanted to start a thread exactly like this a month ago or so!-very cuddly (cockatoo like)-independent -apartment suitable in noise level-non bitey (cape parrot like)-acrobatic and playful (caique like)-mechanical (macaw like)-intellectual (grey/ekkie like)-show off (amazon like)

If I could combine my budgies personalities with the personality of my Green Cheek Conure and the personality of a Cockatoo and have a bird that looks like a Toucan, that would be great. I’d also like if it were the noise level of my budgies or a Cockatiel, had the ability to be dexterous like a Macaw, and able to mimic like an African Grey, that’d be even better.

GlassOnion wrote:-very cuddly (cockatoo like)-independent -apartment suitable in noise level-non bitey (cape parrot like)-acrobatic and playful (caique like)-mechanical (macaw like)-intellectual (grey/ekkie like)-show off (amazon like)Funny, these are all characteristics of a Cape Parrot. Of course I don’t know how much this compares to other parrots. Perhaps Cockatoos are MUCH more cuddly but he’s quite a cuddly parrot. However, I have been learning down sides to Cape Parrots as well and in some ways its that they are more bold and independent. Also still a bit on the noisy side. So I would say the ideal companion parrot would be somewhere between a Cape Parrot and a Senegal (Jardine’s maybe?). You’d eliminate the noisiness of a Cape but also the aggression of the Senegal. One of the problems though is that many of the qualities we enjoy are mutually exclusive. We like a good talker but don’t like noise. Well talking comes from making noise to practice and liking sound. We like a parrot to be confident and not scared but then we don’t want it to be assertive and bitey. This is why ultimately there is no perfect parrot.

I was actually thinking about the Cape as I typed it out.I did quite a bit of research on Jardine’s, and I heard that the lesser’s are often very bitey and nasy, more so than not. A breeder I spoke to told me that she loved the Greater Jardine’s and the BlackWings over the Lesser’s due to their lack of aggression and unpredictability. I believe Jean Pattison also said she thought the former two were superior to the latter.Michael, how loud is Truman? I’m really interested in learning more about these Capes…

My perfect parrot would be a sun or jenday conure with the vocalizations and vocalization patterns of an Indian ringneck.Sun/Jenday - snuggly, acrobatic, clownish, spicy, outgoing. Prone to being clingy, one-person, aggression, excessive screaming, and nippiness - but my experience has been that these qualities are very easy to control.IRN vocalizations - Xavier speaks human. His vocabulary is very limited I think primarily because I don’t teach my birds to speak human - that’s never been important to me. He speaks human, makes kissy noises and other cute noises when he wants human attention. I didn’t teach him to do this, this is just what he does. If you don’t give him attention then he just stops vocalizing and goes about doing something else to entertain himself (this is rare, we just can’t refuse him when he’s cute like this). He does not mimic or speak nonstop chattering all day long like the african greys (which makes me nuts). He can make the wild IRN noises, but he very rarely does. His morning and evening vocalizations are very minimal, oftentimes he doesn’t do those morning and evening noise sessions.

i find rainbow lorikeets a lot more cuddley that cockatoos

Michael wrote:Funny, these are all characteristics of a Cape Parrot. Of course I don’t know how much this compares to other parrots. Same for Jardine’s, but they are very closely linked to capes… which I see you mention. My Jardine’s isn’t bitey and is very smart. It only takes him a few lessons to pick up tricks and words if I spend concentrated time with him. I don’t find them any more or less bitey or loud than the Greaters or Capes.

Great responses everyone . Glad I asked. This is a good way to learn the general character of different parrots.

I would go with a quakers personality , Opey has a great personality and he doesn’t squawk he talks alot though lol but when he does want your attention he will surely let you know , he is pretty indepandant he can keep his self busy with his toys and talking Cody our grey is not talking as of yet but he likes flying around the house and playing with his toys but he also likes to cuddle with you on the couch with his blanket , I know his cuddling days will end soon but for now I’am enjoying them Squiggy our gcc is really easy going always keeps herself busy with toys or bugging Opey lol