Thoughts, prayers, and positive energy for my kitty please

So last night, I found my kitty meowing on the floor, unable to move her two back legs. I rushed her to the emergency vets a few hours away thinking it was a stroke or blood clot. She is able to move the two legs, and they respond to pain, but when she tries to stand on them they are like jello. They did a bunch of tests and xrays and determined that something was wrong with the discs in her back, much like how some dachshund dogs lose control of their back legs. They kept her there last night and gave her an IV with steroids in it. I called and went to see her today and there has been no change. She isn’t any better or any worse. She can still eat and drink and acts like herself despite her back legs. I’m hoping the steroids work. I love that cat so much, she sleeps with me every night and now my bed is so empty…I adopted her a few years ago, she had a really tough life before coming to me as she was used as a breeder in a kitten mill situation (shes a purebred persian). Please offer any thoughts, prayers, or positive energy for my Clara, she really needs it right now.

Hi you are not having a good year are you! Best wishes to you and Clara [I love her name]

If the steroids don’t work ask the vet her prognosis. Is she in pain? Does she have control of her bowels? Would she still be a happy cat without back legs? Yes. Would her handicap be too much for you to handle. I have seen animals learn to walk on front legs. Don’t panick but find out. Keep us posted.

Liz, the meds haven’t helped yet. But what I’ve read online said it can take weeks. She is eating and drinking normally. We aren’t sure if she has control of her bowels. But I know how to express her bladder if need be. She will be coming home tomorrow and will be on 100% crate rest for weeks + steroids. The vet said she doesn’t seem to be in any pain but will provide me medications incase. I was looking into maybe one of those pet wheel chairs if things don’t improve. But would she really be happy in one? And can cats use them? I’ve only seen them for dogs. I drove the few hours to visit her again today. Besides her legs she is herself <3

[quote=“paper_lantern”]Liz, the meds haven’t helped yet. But what I’ve read online said it can take weeks. She is eating and drinking normally. We aren’t sure if she has control of her bowels. But I know how to express her bladder if need be. She will be coming home tomorrow and will be on 100% crate rest for weeks + steroids. The vet said she doesn’t seem to be in any pain but will provide me medications incase. I was looking into maybe one of those pet wheel chairs if things don’t improve. But would she really be happy in one? And can cats use them? I’ve only seen them for dogs. I drove the few hours to visit her again today. Besides her legs she is herself <3[/quoteTo test if she has control put a low litter box near her. If she does not have control you may have to change a diaper a few times a day.Cats are as smart as dogs and can learn anything they do. If she stays inside she will learn to get around on her front legs. You would just have to keep check to make sure she doesn’t get rug burn.She can be almost as happy with 2 legs as 4. All it takes is love. She will not be happy in a crate. When she gets home she will want to be on your lap.You just have to decide later on if you will be happy.Steroids reduce inflamation. Your vet may think that is the cause of not using her back legs.My Fancy is 15 now. She has been on interfuron since she was a kitten. The vet put her on it to prolong her life until I was ready to give her up. He is shocked that she is still with me. I told him she is not ready to leave me.

So Clara has been home for two days now. She is doing 100% crate rest, only coming out to go to the bathroom + steroids and a stomach protector to keep her from getting an ulcer from the steroids. While she is on steroids I have to express her bladder every 3-4 hours to make sure she doesn’t get a UTI. She isn’t in pain, sleeps like a rock, and eats and drinks very well. She was constipated for awhile but some pumpkin and water took care of that. She has feeling in her legs and she can move them. She can’t feel or move her tail, but she can also control her sphincter which is good news. It could take 6-8 weeks for her to begin walking again, but I don’t mind taking care of her, she is worth it <3

Prognosis looks good. It will take a lot of time and patience.Hang in there. My thoughts are with you.