Tiko and Rio Best Friends

Rio was trying to get in Tikos cage again and Rio got closer to her and instead of her going away from him she came closer and was giving him food.I think theyre gonna become great friends big size difference but Tiko really likes him.

Please do not trust this " friendship " between your lovebird, Rio and Tiko, your mother’s Grey. As much as I would like for it to be true, Rio would not survive if it doesn’t work and with the damage to his beak already, he has suffered enough. I know that my Grey will pretend to be nice and friendly and loving until she has you exactly where she wants you and the she attacks faster than you can move. I wish that I could advise otherwise, but I can not.

Wolf is right. You can’t trust a big bird with a tiny one, especially a lovie because they have no common sense when it comes to self-preservation. I know somebody in California (he is Zoey Senegal’s ex-owner, as a matter of fact) who has a female ekkie as well as some little ones (lovies and plet) and was delighted when he saw the ekkie feeding one of the lovebirds. I told him not to allow it and he did not listen - now the lovie has only the bottom beak, the ekkie pulled the top one right off.

Wolf wrote:Please do not trust this " friendship " between your lovebird, Rio and Tiko, your mother’s Grey. As much as I would like for it to be true, Rio would not survive if it doesn’t work and with the damage to his beak already, he has suffered enough. I know that my Grey will pretend to be nice and friendly and loving until she has you exactly where she wants you and the she attacks faster than you can move. I wish that I could advise otherwise, but I can not.Tiko isnt like most other greys in all her 7 years living with us she never made a African grey noise she only talks and makes human sounds and noises but never once spoke African grey.Shes scared of other birds still a little afraid of Rio but not so much anymore now shes feeding him sleeping together and eating.I trust Tiko not to hurt him and they never get too close to each other I would never let them share a cage or anything like it.

Pajarita wrote:Wolf is right. You can’t trust a big bird with a tiny one, especially a lovie because they have no common sense when it comes to self-preservation. I know somebody in California (he is Zoey Senegal’s ex-owner, as a matter of fact) who has a female ekkie as well as some little ones (lovies and plet) and was delighted when he saw the ekkie feeding one of the lovebirds. I told him not to allow it and he did not listen - now the lovie has only the bottom beak, the ekkie pulled the top one right off.Omg thats so sad well im gonna listen to you and I wont allow it.Tiko has bit me a few times if I was just standing near her she would just climb over to me and bite my arm or something but it dosent hurt that much.

How exactly do birds eat if they have only the bottom beak.

They can only eat soft food and what they do is scoop it up with the lower beak and push it into their throat with their tongues. I had two of them that had less than half a top beak and that’s how mine did it - but, at the beginning you need to handfeed them in their beak two or three times a day and, as they get the hang of it, you reduce the number of times until you no longer have to -it takes a couple of months.