What are you planning to do with your love of birds?

A lot of us have lists of dream birds and dream items for our birds. But do any of you wish to take your passion to the next step? I know that Michael uses his passion to educate people, and Captwest is a breeder. Several owners on here work at rescues, and some of you work and volunteer at local zoos. I’d really like to be able to run a small bird rescue (specifically budgies). There are countless times when I look at ads online with people selling their budgies in small, confined cages, with no toys, or perch options. Budgies are thought of as toys, not as parrots, and I’d really love to have a sanctuary for them to live out their lives.

I’m with you on the parakeet rescue. I hope to have a large garden aviary one day with a whole flock of budgies/small birds. They are such a hoot to watch in large numbers, and I think they’re absolutely beautiful.Also, one day I hope to acquire a pair or two of one of an endangered species of parrots such as, the Cape parrots and actually make sure they have happy lives. I see some breeders keeping their breeding pairs in rows of cages with two wooden perches and a nestbox. Not much enrichment or much going on there… With my birds, I will set up a magnificent living area for them with trees, music, toys, etc etc etc.

My boyfriend wants to move back down to Calipatria, California in the future. The climate there is perfect for outdoor aviaries, so I’d love to have a small bird aviary. Ideally, I’d love to have an outdoor rescue aviary for budgies because I love to see Pigpen and No Name interact with one another and I’d like to have a large flock of budgies that were unwanted. I’d also like to have a bird rescue, but I don’t know if that’d be a good idea for me. I’d get far too attached and want to keep them all!

I’d love to do little shows myself, to help educate people. My coworker’s son does a lot of shows to promote snake conservation. They also do turtles, lizards, amphibians, scorpions and tarantulas… the misunderstood critters you could say. He doesn’t discourage people from getting snakes as pets, but he is honest about their needs and warns people about the dangers facing their wild counterparts. It’s great, 'cause it helps keep kids from developing a fear of snakes in the first place. Kids aren’t afraid of snakes naturally; it’s learned from their parents or other ignorant people who treat snakes with disrespect. The majority of the animals he uses in his show are rescues or rehomes, so it helps promote animal adoption too. I’ve helped a lot with those and I’d love to do something similar with parrots. After all, they’re misunderstood too, just in a different way than snakes. I decided I want to be a librarian… have my quiet time at work and then come home to a houseful of noisy animals.

zazanomore,Ambitious plan. There is something for you:

I actually participated in the Executive of the local Parrot Club. I have helped educate people in the region. I also assist a friend of mine who has started a business that has many goals/activities. One of them is to participate at birthday parties and she takes that opportunity to educate adults and kids a like about parrots. Shade actually participated in one of those session and was really liked. Otherwise, I normally play photographer or help handle the birds she brings along as well as doing some one-on-one discussion with the parents who eventually come and ask me questions. She’ll also take whatever opportunity to raise awareness for parrot care.I will no go down the route of rescue. Quite honestly, I don’t believe in rescues that are only oriented to one or two specific species, specially when these are generally oriented for the bigger birds. Actually, I would quite respect anyone who would open up just for the little guys since they are often left out of the deal. But, I know what parrots I can live with and a lot of them I don’t think I could. I wouldn’t want to risk having so many birds that attention is lacking or that eventually you get one in that has a disease that will invariably create problems. While I admire people that do, it’s not for me.GlassOnion wrote:I’m with you on the parakeet rescue. I hope to have a large garden aviary one day with a whole flock of budgies/small birds. They are such a hoot to watch in large numbers, and I think they’re absolutely beautiful.And while I wouldn’t be a rescue, I have helped birds in need of a new home find a new loving home. And I don’t mind continuing to do so, just as long as I don’t have to foster the bird until it finds a home. I like to put people in contact with other people, and most of the time, it’s people coming to me with a bird they must rehome or people having told me they were looking for a specific type of bird and I make them connect.Also, one day I hope to acquire a pair or two of one of an endangered species of parrots such as, the Cape parrots and actually make sure they have happy lives. I see some breeders keeping their breeding pairs in rows of cages with two wooden perches and a nestbox. Not much enrichment or much going on there… With my birds, I will set up a magnificent living area for them with trees, music, toys, etc etc etc.When it comes to the truly endangered species, I’m afraid you would probably not be able to put your hands on a pair. The “true” Cape parrot, Poicephalus robustus robustus, the one that is really endagered at the moment is not available anywhere in North America, at least not to my knowledge and not to the knowledge of other Cape enthusiasts I know. With the truly endangered ones, they tend to keep them in breeding programs in view of helping the species and not so much for pet companionship.

I also assist a friend of mine who has started a business that has many goals/activities. One of them is to participate at birthday parties and she takes that opportunity to educate adults and kids a like about parrots. Shade actually participated in one of those session and was really liked. Otherwise, I normally play photographer or help handle the birds she brings along as well as doing some one-on-one discussion with the parents who eventually come and ask me questions. She’ll also take whatever opportunity to raise awareness for parrot care.Does your friend have a website? My little brother is fascinated with parrots, and it could be a cool idea for his birthday. Margaret wrote:zazanomore,Ambitious plan. There is something for you:I love seeing happy budgies I wish I lived somewhere warmer, where I could have an outdoor aviary.

well i will be a qualified zoo keeper in a years time, two zoos im applying for are london zoo and forever wild in Arizona, dont know if i could stand the heat thou… forever wild concentrates on giving big cats a retirement home form circuses and the exotic pet trade but they also have a large number of farm animals, snakes and marine fish as no animal is turned away form there doors. you may of seen them on extreme make over home edition there sanctuary got a make over. i want to work at london zoo just because i feel the need to get in touch with my english/scottish side =p did i mention they have Hyacinth macaws?but hey the skies the limit and i have plenty of time on my radar!

TheNzJessie wrote:well i will be a qualified zoo keeper in a years time, two zoos im applying for are london zoo and forever wild in Arizona, dont know if i could stand the heat thou… forever wild concentrates on giving big cats a retirement home form circuses and the exotic pet trade but they also have a large number of farm animals, snakes and marine fish as no animal is turned away form there doors. you may of seen them on extreme make over home edition there sanctuary got a make over. i want to work at london zoo just because i feel the need to get in touch with my english/scottish side =p did i mention they have Hyacinth macaws?but hey the skies the limit and i have plenty of time on my radar!My life is so boring compared to yours…I’d love to be able to work at the Australia zoo.

With the truly endangered ones, they tend to keep them in breeding programs in view of helping the species and not so much for pet companionship.You can always join organizations like the AFA and get involved with birds that are tracked through breeding cooperatives/studbooks. http://afabirds.org/index.shtmlI know of someone, several people actually, who have access to trade birds w/ zoos so there is cooperation to breed endangered birds. It’s probably not realistic to want a pair of thick-billed parrots, but it’s not outside the real of possibilities to get the Rothschilds mynahs.So, if anyone truly wants to get into the endangered species find out and participate in the breeding coops and studbooks. Your efforts would add to the management of the captive gene pool.