What does this indicate

I have a re-homed female CAG.I got her when she was nine years old and I suspect she was used as a breeder.A month ago,I re-homed another CAG.I know little of this bird’s background but I am guessing it may be a male only based on the fact it is bigger than my known female.The male? is flighted and will sometimes fly to the female’s cage when I am cleaning around his cage.The female will sometimes walk to the male’s cage.The interaction that I find curious is the female appears to feed the male.The male in turn flutters his wings.It is the same kind of action I have seen on videos that show a mother bird feeding her babies in the nest.As I said,the male is a re-homed bird that had been in at least two other homes,so I am guessing not a very young bird.

Generally the male regurgitates to feed the female. Does the one that you think is a male have a band on his leg? If so we might get a handle on his age. I would suggest that you have the suspected male DNA tested to assure that it is a male and actually unless the other has been DNA tested to be a female I would have her tested as well. African greys mature between the ages of 3 and 6 years of age. They also don’t normally breed until they are 3 years of age and may not breed until they are 6 years of age. Even then they must actually like each other, which at this point in time is all that I would think that the regurgitating means, that they like each other.

Look at the edges of the tail undercoverts (the medium length feathers that ‘cover’ the beginning of the long tail feathers at the bottom - not the top of the bird which would be the ‘continuation’ of the back but the ones under and the ‘continuation’ of the belly). If the edges (you have to look very carefully because we are talking about a VERY thin edge) are grey, you have a female, if the feathers are red all the way to the very edge, you have a male.But, although it is true that in a bonded pair the male will feed the female, if the female was a breeding bird, she is overly hormonal (do you free-feed protein food and keep them at a human light schedule?), and the other bird doesn’t ‘catch on’ to her clues, she will feed it.Question is, if they are mate bonded, why are you keeping them apart? Because it seems to me that they want to be together…

The female has a DNA certificate.Male has no band on leg.I try to feed a glop menu of Kashi and mixed veggies in the morning.I put skewers of fruit or corn for them to eat or destroy mid morning and pellets in the afternoon.I have put cooked eggs in the glop but not often.I have a bird room where the birds are always free and close the doors when it gets dark and I move into the adjoining family room.I would like to put them together,it is certainly more convenient and I have a McCaw size cage and never confine the birds, in any case. But I didn’t know if that was a good idea.I have been uncertain of what their actions indicate and have kept them on opposite sides of the room.Some times the female bites at him but I think she is a bully.She is always trying to go after my Too if I put the cages too close but the Too can fly.

Is the room a true birdroom (nothing human in there) or is it a room with cages in it? Because if it’s a true birdroom, you could try leaving them loose in there and see what happens. If not, why don’t you try putting them together in a large cage (with separate water and feeding bowls so each has one and plenty of perches so they don’t have to share) for a little while at a time while you keep an eye on them? I think she would like to be with him (did you look at the undercoverts to see if there is a gray edge?)