What made you name your bird what you did?

Hey all!I was just curious what inspired some of our forum members to name their birds what they did. Was it thought up by the breed? The color? Emotion? Attitude? Maybe even a sports team?My Mulga was named after Melody Song (the Doctor’s Wife) also known as River Song.After making this thread, I was curious about other names that were the most popular. This is what I found and thought it was very interesting. Top 10 Pet Bird Names1) Kiwi – a fuzzy, tart fruit (Polynesian)2) Sunny – brilliant, cheerful, happy. (English)3) Buddy - friend; brother. (English)4) Charlie - manly; strong; free. (English)5) Baby - young, often symbolizing innocence or purity; object of affection. (Old English)6) Sunshine - term of endearment; happy, cheerful. (English)7) Angel - angelic; messenger of God. (Greek)8) Mango – a bright, tropical fruit. (Portuguese)9) Tiki – waterfall. (Japanese)10) Tweety – a small, cute canary from the TV series Looney Tunes. (English)Top 10 African Grey Parrot Names1) Harley - hare meadow. (English)2) Smokey - smoke-colored. (American)3) Pepper – a hot spice. (Malayalam)4) Ruby – a bright, precious gem. (Latin)5) Gracie – favor, blessing. (Latin)6) Sammy – heard God. (Hebrew)7) Alex – man’s defender; warrior. (Greek)8) Chloe – blooming. (Greek)9) Gabby – heroine of God. (Hebrew, Italian)10) Merlin – sea fortress; a mythical wizard. (Welsh)Top 10 Cockatiel Names1) Sunny – brilliant, cheerful, happy. (English)2) Sunshine – term of endearment; happy, cheerful. (English)3) Buddy – friend; brother. (English)4) Charlie – manly; strong; free. (English)5) Angel – angelic; messenger of God. (Greek)6) Baby – young, often symbolizing innocence or purity; object of affection. (Old English)7) Spike – sharp metal. A name commonly associated with danger; the name has cool connotations. (American)8) Tweety – a small, cute canary from the TV series Looney Tunes. (English)9) Coco – help. (Spanish)10) Lucky – fortunate. (English)Top 10 Conure Names1) Sunny – brilliant, cheerful, happy. (English)2) Skittles – a sweet, small, round candy. (English)3) Mango – a bright, tropical fruit. (Portuguese)4) Kiwi – a fuzzy, tart fruit (Polynesian)5) Buddy – friend; brother. (English)6) Sunshine – term of endearment; happy, cheerful. (English)7) Charlie – manly; strong; free. (English)8) Lucky – fortunate. (English)9) Marley – marshy meadow. (English)10) Sammy – heard God. (Hebrew)Top 10 Amazon Parrot Names1) Moe – Saved; love. (Hebrew)2) Buddy – friend; brother. (English)3) Paco – free. (Spanish)4) Baby – young, often symbolizing innocence or purity; object of affection. (Old English)5) Charlie – manly; strong; free. (English)6) Kiwi – a fuzzy, tart fruit (Polynesian)7) Max – the greatest. (Latin)8) Morgan – great and bright sea dweller. (Welsh)9) Rio – river. (Spanish)10) Tookie – colloquial for “buttocks.” (English)Top 10 Macaw Names1) Harley – hare meadow. (English)2) Mac – son. (Gaelic)3) Skittles – a sweet, small, round candy. (English)4) Tango – a sultry, upbeat Latin dance or music. (Latin)5) Phoenix – dark red. Also a mythical bird symbolizing immortality. (Greek)6) Rainbow – symbol of hope and beauty. Biblically, it represents the covenant between God and His people. (English)7) Babie – young, often symbolizing innocence or purity; object of affection. (Old English)8) Baby – young, often symbolizing innocence or purity; object of affection. (Old English)9) Beau – beautiful; sweetheart. (French)10) Coco – help. (Spanish)Top 10 Cockatoo Names1) Angel – angelic; messenger of God. (Greek)2) Peaches – a sweet, flavorful fruit. (Persian)3) Max – the greatest. (Latin)4) Lola – sorrowful (Spanish)5) Casper – master of the treasure. (Chaldean)6) Tiki – waterfall. (Japanese)7) Sammy – heard God. (Hebrew)8) Daisy – eye of the day; synonym for Sun. (English)9) Charlie – manly; strong; free. (English)10) Buddy – friend; brother. (English)Top 10 Lovebird Names1) Kiwi – a fuzzy, tart fruit (Polynesian)2) Peaches – a sweet, flavorful fruit. (Persian)3) Mango – a bright, tropical fruit. (Portuguese)4) Bella – beautiful. (Latin)5) Baby – young, often symbolizing innocence or purity; object of affection. (Old English)6) Tweety – a small, cute canary from the TV series Looney Tunes. (English)7) Sunshine – term of endearment; happy, cheerful. (English)8) Skittles – a sweet, small, round candy. (English)9) Peach – a sweet, flavorful fruit. (Persian)10) Kiki – term of endearment; pet form of “K” names. (Spanish)Top 10 Budgie Names1) Sky – of nature. (Enlgish)2) Sunny – brilliant, cheerful, happy. (English)3) Kiwi – a fuzzy, tart fruit (Polynesian)4) Tweety – a small, cute canary from the TV series Looney Tunes. (English)5) Buddy – friend; brother. (English)6) Angel – angelic; messenger of God. (Greek)7) Sunshine – term of endearment; happy, cheerful. (English)8) Charlie – manly; strong; free. (English)9) Blueberry – a small, sweet fruit. (English)10) Budgie – Australian slang for ‘good’. (English)Edit Cited from http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-club/bird-fun-and-games/top-10-bird-names.aspx

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-club/bird-fun-and-games/top-10-bird-names.aspx

That’s quite a list. when I named my budgie, kink-o, i was going through a bunch of names on the way home from the breeder. I do believe Sky was in there, because he was a pale yellow with blue and turquoise tinges, making him look like a sky. I don’t really know quite how I came up with Kink-o, but I think the word kink reminds me of the pale yellow that he was, and I didn’t just want to call him(maybe a her…?) kink, so I added an O at the end. so that’s how I named my budgie. (RIP)

My two birds, Jimmy and Bubba, had previous owners so they came with their names.I think Jimmy is a really cute name for a bird, though, and he says his name in such a sweet way. I was actually surprised when he first said his name because I thought the “j” sound would be too hard for him to imitate but he does it very well. Bubba is a silly and strange name for a bird and I almost re-named him “Bobby” but decided against it. However, when he says “Bubba” in his little green cheek conure voice it’s super adorable.Dasphatness wrote:My Mulga was named after Melody Song (the Doctor’s Wife) also known as River Song.Spoilers!

I wanted a strong, distinctive name so I looked around till I found one that sounded right. :] That’s how the name Nika was selected.I was reading the names and not to be a Debbie Downer but this is hands down the saddest name you can give a parrot: Paco – free. Really…? :[I’ve heard so many of those names on this forum as names for the parrots in the rescue. I’d say they’re pretty spot on!

Alaska was named Cookie when she came to me, and I didn’t like it. She didn’t seem to know or respond to her name at all, so I changed it. I named her Alaska, partly because I love the name Alaska, but mostly because one of the main characters in my favourite book (“Looking for Alaska” by John Green) is named Alaska - and to the main character, she’s the most special, beautiful, interesting and exciting girl he’s ever met: that’s pretty much what I felt about this little bird. When I brought home my second Senegal, I named her Miley.Partly because I really love Miley Cyrus, if you know who that is. (This is quite an unpopular opinion for some reason, but I love her. She’s pretty and stylish and talented and intelligent and she rescues adorable dogs!)…And partly because I’m all for the bad jokes;1) In the previously mentioned book (“Looking for Alaska”), the main character (The one who’s in love with Alaska) is named Miles. Miley would be the more feminine version.2) …Miley Cyrus used to play the role of Hannah Montana. Montana. It’s a state. Like Alaska. …Get it? …

Most of mine came with names. Tico the 'tiel didn’t as I pulled her from the abiary as her parents abandoned her at weaning, I didn’t have any name ideas but that seemed to suit her.With Ollie I had about 7-10 names I really liked and planned to name him one of those. When i got him home none of them really “fitted” so he remained nameless for several days, I tried out a few others but he responded to Ollie right away so he kind of picked his own name lol.

I was asked this question before…Well, I named my U2 Elvis because he loves rock & roll music, he has a crest, and he is the king of the house…

Within the first week of having her, our GCC hopped down to the floor to investigate the carpet, then pooped. Seeing my bare feet swing towards her as I went to clean it up immediately, she freaked out, went into BATTLE MODE and attacked! And, being totally unexpected and on reflex, I kicked out… So then I forced myself to stand there like a rock and let her charge my feet, to try and stop her thinking they’re scary threats, and give her a chance to calm down (she wasn’t tame enough to tolerate a grab from hands either at this point). She charged my feet, angrily tore at my big toes until they started bleeding… and then started licking the blood. We couldn’t think of a nice-sounding version of ‘vampire’, so now her name is Shark. I’m happy to report she’s a lot calmer around toes now, although she’ll start to tap them angrily with her beak if they look at her funny as a warning.

rebcart wrote:Within the first week of having her, our GCC hopped down to the floor to investigate the carpet, then pooped. Seeing my bare feet swing towards her as I went to clean it up immediately, she freaked out, went into BATTLE MODE and attacked! And, being totally unexpected and on reflex, I kicked out… So then I forced myself to stand there like a rock and let her charge my feet, to try and stop her thinking they’re scary threats, and give her a chance to calm down (she wasn’t tame enough to tolerate a grab from hands either at this point). She charged my feet, angrily tore at my big toes until they started bleeding… and then started licking the blood. We couldn’t think of a nice-sounding version of ‘vampire’, so now her name is Shark. I’m happy to report she’s a lot calmer around toes now, although she’ll start to tap them angrily with her beak if they look at her funny as a warning.Eeeouch you crazy person. My bf taught Ollie to attack feet and of course I had to be the one to do a similar thing and let him bite me to bits but Ollie didn’t go that mad with otherwise theres no way I could have stood there. Believe me when I say that was bad enough. It worked though kind of, I never get my feet attacked any more but my bf does.

Eeeouch is right! But it was the only thing I could think of that wouldn’t increase her stress levels at that moment, and she stopped attacking fast once she realised my toes weren’t going to fight back - lucky for me she’s not a or something.