What newbie mistake does every parrot owner make?

I’m just curious to see what drives people crazy.Mine is when they get a parrot and don’t do anything to train it, thinking it’s just something that sits there and looks pretty. And why my local shelter has 6 Umbrella Cockatoos.

Getting a parrot at all

Michael wrote:Getting a parrot at all LOL!..guilty as charged

Michael wrote:Getting a parrot at all Ouch. They’re wonderful creatures that enrich people’s lives. Plus, if you’re willing to put the time and effort in, there’s nothing wrong with living with a bird.

i doubt he 100% means that. i mean really, he is the parrot wizard, he has 3 parrots.

GMV wrote:i doubt he 100% means that. i mean really, he is the parrot wizard, he has 3 parrots.Eh, I just took at as one of those elitist things like “I’m allowed to have this because Master Roshi said I was special”. Maybe I was wrong.

That’s because most people didn’t really want a parrot for what it is. They let someone convince them that a parrot is just a colorful talking hamster that lives in a cage. Then when the truth hits, they regret it as is evidenced by full rescues and rehome ads. Even I fully admit I didn’t know what I was getting myself into butI just got lucky cause it turned out to be my thing.

Well my first parrot showed up and since it could not survive the climate here, I let it move into the house where it could be warm and not freeze to death. Couldn’t find the birds owner so she is still here.