When did you bond and What is your contact call?

Hello Everyone So i don’t know if a thread like this has been started or not, but i thought it might bee cool to begin one. I’m interested to know what other families are like I’ll start One Parrot. Julian. Male Eckkie. Year old. Adopted. Third Home. Together three weeks. Bonded to me about a week ago in the fact that when partner leaves the room he doesn’t feel the need to contact call, but with me he does. He likes my partner, but isn’t as obsessive.(ie. tim can eat in peace) Which brings me to part two - The contact call! Which we are working on.He just screams. When we got him we were told he was learning how to wolf whistle, and indeed he has, I thought it would be hilarious to say “your sexy” after in hopes that he will eventually pick it up and put them together So basically, when he began the screaming upon my leaving the room, that banter was the only real solid back and forth thing we’d shared, so i ran with it, and now when i leave, and hes been quiet for 15-20 seconds straights i yell “Your sexy” … I hope that he will pick up on it soon. I try and answer your sexy if hes wolf whistling. Just hoping he will put it together sooner rather then later - on that note, how long did it take for you and your baby to establish a good contact call?

I only do a contact call with one single bird, it’s only when it’s getting dark and he was the one who started using a two note whistle which I just repeat. I have multiple birds so they don’t need to contact call me as they are never alone.

While my birds are never alone they do like to keep tabs on me and mostly they use a two note whistle and like Pajarita I followed up and use one of the whistles that they were already using. They each one seem to have a few distinct whistles that they will answer if either myself or another bird uses, so I assume that they are used the same way in the wild.

Roonil Wazlib wrote:Hello Everyone So i don’t know if a thread like this has been started or not, but i thought it might bee cool to begin one. I’m interested to know what other families are like I’ll start One Parrot. Julian. Male Eckkie. Year old. Adopted. Third Home. Together three weeks. Bonded to me about a week ago in the fact that when partner leaves the room he doesn’t feel the need to contact call, but with me he does. He likes my partner, but isn’t as obsessive.(ie. tim can eat in peace) Which brings me to part two - The contact call! Which we are working on.He just screams. When we got him we were told he was learning how to wolf whistle, and indeed he has, I thought it would be hilarious to say “your sexy” after in hopes that he will eventually pick it up and put them together So basically, when he began the screaming upon my leaving the room, that banter was the only real solid back and forth thing we’d shared, so i ran with it, and now when i leave, and hes been quiet for 15-20 seconds straights i yell “Your sexy” … I hope that he will pick up on it soon. I try and answer your sexy if hes wolf whistling. Just hoping he will put it together sooner rather then later - on that note, how long did it take for you and your baby to establish a good contact call?That is hilarious. Do that first thing in the morning (you can yell it when you wake up if the bird is in earshot) and when you get back home, so the bird gets the idea. The amount of time depends on the bird. What kind of bird is it? My contact call w/ my current is the bird’s name. Sadly, she will respond w/ my late birds name. It didn’t take very long to get this down. Maybe a month or so.

Rambo calls "Momma". Myrtle calls "Ma". I answer with "I hear you". The cockatiels have created a call just for me. I guess that is the name they gave me. I answer with "I hear you baby birds."Of course after I answer I check to see what they wanted.

Gaugan is my 18 year old Red Belly female and does not have a contact call exactly, she just seems to know that I will be back. When she want attention, she says "Hey Gaugie Birdie"Sunny my year old male Meyers thinks the world is not right untill i get up. He will contact call untill I get out of bed if i sleep in. He does not care if my hubby is up or not. He will also call for me when I go to a different room, but I whistle back to him, and he will then start using my whistle.

Rambo and Myrtle use “hello” as a contact call between them. I sometimes join in and it seems to go on forever. From day one I have tried to get them to say “Hey baby what’s up” to no avail. They will say “Hey baby and what’s up” at different times.In the morning Rambo calls out “are you up”. If I don’t answer he will start yelling “wake up wake up” until I do or he comes after me.

None of my birds have a specific contact call for me. The toos just scream like any other too, same with Naida, the only amazon that actually squaks loud (not often at all though). The rest of the birds hardly ever do flock calls - well, except for Peachie which calls all the time, poor thing, but that’s because he doesn’t have anybody (I keep on forgetting to request the DNA kit, I’ll try to do it today after I run my Tuesday errands)

i forgot to answer when i bonded with the two i have. With Gaugan she was in a pet store and was 4 and a half month old, and had a toe amputated and had become wild and was attacking and biting hard enough to scar. As soon as i saw her we both bonded to each other. She melted as I talked to her and stepped onto my finger. I had no intention of getting a parrot that day. With Sunny, he was at a breeders and had bonded to parrots and was not very tame with people. It took him a month to bond with me, but one day when i had brought him over to my daughters to hang with her parrots and he jumped on my shoulder and started preening me and making sweet noises and we have been bonded since.

seagoatdeb wrote:i forgot to answer when i bonded with the two i have. With Gaugan she was in a pet store and was 4 and a half month old, and had a toe amputated and had become wild and was attacking and biting hard enough to scar. As soon as i saw her we both bonded to each other. She melted as I talked to her and stepped onto my finger. I had no intention of getting a parrot that day. With Sunny, he was at a breeders and had bonded to parrots and was not very tame with people. It took him a month to bond with me, but one day when i had brought him over to my daughters to hang with her parrots and he jumped on my shoulder and started preening me and making sweet noises and we have been bonded since.Nice stories. Mine has a paralyzed toe too. Just the last joint. It doesn’t seem to really bother her, but I do notice she prefers to step onto things with the other foot first.