Why did u get a parrot

Why did you get a parrot? Is it because you just like parrots or you like a certain amount of animals and own those.I got a parrot(s) because I like them I have always wanted one and started off with budgies.I like them better than any other pet including dogs I think theyre great pets you can play and have fun with and they make you laugh all the time.

I got my first parrot, a female red lored amazon, because the owner no longer wanted her (she screamed, bit and plucked). She worked with a friend of mine and mentioned her problem to her so she put her in touch with me (she knew I had birds and loved all animals). This was back in 1992.

My first cockatiel was Amy. My sister got tired of cleaning the cage so she gave it to me as a present. That was about 20 years ago.My first parrot was Rambo. His human was going to put him up for sale because she did not want him any more. I talked her out of him. I could not see an intelligent creature being passed around and sold like an object.

liz wrote:My first cockatiel was Amy. My sister got tired of cleaning the cage so she gave it to me as a present. That was about 20 years ago.My first parrot was Rambo. His human was going to put him up for sale because she did not want him any more. I talked her out of him. I could not see an intelligent creature being passed around and sold like an object.Dont you mean your first parrot was Amy the cockatiel.

My mother had tame budgies as I was growing up so I had some budgie experience. My first parrot as an adult, was a female cockatiel named "spam" horrible named changed it to Sammy. She had been the pet of a young twin boy and his twin brother had a budgie. the budgie had died and the boys were now away at college and Spam did not like the parents and was getting no attention, so they wanted to rehome her. I felt sorry for the poor lonely bird being kept all day in her cage. So I brought her home and she certainly did not like me. I talked to her a lot and then eventualy I coaxed her to come out with treats for some out of cage time, and eventually got her to sit beside me on a towel and eat treats. She did not want to be touched but like to be talked to and spend time out of the cage. Then a male friend of mine came over and she flew over to him and acted like she had known him all her life. She let him pet her and made sweet little sounds. After a few more visits and seeing the love that existed between the two of them I gave him the cockatiel.

You did good. It was hard to give her up even though she never trusted you. I have done the same thing. I have rehomed if the pet was more interested in another like the Chihuahua that came with Rambo.Myrtle will fly to any man. When she came to me she was in bad shape and scared of every thing including me. My son came to visit and she started calling him. She did want touched but she came to the edge on the top of the cage and chattered to him.Rambo was an attack bird when she came to me. She went out of her way to attack any man she saw.

My first budge was a guest who never left, she was pretty much dumped on me really. We rescued a 'tiel to give her some company and so it went from thereā€¦ I never really chose to have birds but would find it hard to turn down a bird in need now.

I got Blu when I saw him at the store. Simple as that lol. I then got Connor a year later when I meet him at a store and felt an instant connection.

All of mine were given to me as they needed homes, with the exception of Kiki who came here on her own and asked for heat and food and water. She started all of this and is still here.

Wolf wrote:All of mine were given to me as they needed homes, with the exception of Kiki who came here on her own and asked for heat and food and water. She started all of this and is still here.Thats nice I plan to have more birds when im older I always look for birds in need of a new home before looking in pet shops