Why do people think parrots are color blind?

So many people are shocked that my Senegal Parrot can match rings to pegs by color. Heck, even despite that I get people telling me that it cannot be because parrots are color blind. The fact that many parrots are really colorful for the purposes of mate selection or that they eat a wide variety of colorful fruits doesn’t make it clear enough? Why do people find it so strange that parrots can see colors and what leads to this absurd presumption?

It’s because a long time ago people though cats and dogs and horses are color blind. Which they aren’t, exactly, although they do have different vision and color perception from humans.You are right, though – the fact that the BIRDS are colorful, especially that in some cases males and females are colored differently, SHOULD be a clue.I think, by and large, people have forgotten how to think.

Michael wrote:Why do people find it so strange that parrots can see colors and what leads to this absurd presumption?because humans think they’re the best at everything, including flying and seeing

I think when it is said that animals see the world differently the best way we can put ourselves in their shoes is if we imagine them colorblind. I guess it’s a perception thing.

When I have my bird out on the kitchen table, and I can like, wave my hands around her and be wild and she doesn’t get spooked, but if my mom reaches for a napkin too fast she flaps her wings and is scared, my mom is like, how can she tell the difference between you and me?!I say, BECAUSE SHE HAS EYES, MOTHER.

You should have said "just like you can tell me and the bird apart, or can you?"