Wild bird buddies

Is anybody else here really into wild birds? What kinds do you have in your yard? What do you do to attract them? What is it about having wild birds around that you enjoy? I find them incredibly restful, and I love watching them going about their business.I have a very bird-friendly yard, with tons of bird houses that attract tufted titmice and purple finches every spring, several hummingbird feeders, almost a dozen bird feeders, and two bird baths. I also plant lots of flowers that attract birds. I work at home most of the time, and am in my yard for hours daily when the weather is good. Many of my “regulars” are very comfortable with my presence, and I have a couple of chiackdees and finches that will eat seeds off the table within a foot of me. My cockatiel had a mockingbird buddy who would sit at the window where Weebo’s cage was and hang out with him through the glass. We also have owls in our yard…screech and great horned owls nest in our huge pecan tree. Owning a bird has given me such respect for all birds, in general. I just don’t get it when people aren’t interested in them.

You know, I too have a different perspective on wild birds. I sit in my terrace with Elvis and he has a pair of wild doves that come to visit him & perch on the tree. They just sit there and observe him & he loves it! Not to mention the little wild finches that are spastic …it’s like watching a tennis game… The bluebirds are my favs …there so ingenious and methodical…I really enjoy watching all of them do there thing~~

i built a couple ponds in my backyard 1 koi, 1 goldfish, 1 in my son’s yard hopefully getting a turtle for that. i have trees surrounding the entire yard for privacy and my skin/eyes can’t take alot of sunlight. so i get alot of birds who have been coming to my yard for generations now. they are so familiar and bold that if i don’t put my parrots leftover pellots out they will sit right next to me and yell for food.there is a family of bluejays that come father and 2 son’s one of them has an ongoing screaming contest with penny .we also got a new couple last year a cardinal and his mate hoping to see some babies from them this year.

i live between three patches of marsh, with lots of ponds and trees, so we get a lot of wild bird activity. there are blackbirds, tits, hummingbirds, thrushes, robins, a few different sparrow families that nest in our barn just under our covered porch, also owls including barn owls, and maybe some sort of screech, not quite sure. we also have SO many woodpeckers, from the tiny little ones to some that are the size of large hawks. we also have a family of eagles nesting somewhere in our woods, and there was a hawk that we named gapwing because there was a gap in his wing feathers, but we haven’t seen him lately. then there are the sparrow hawks and red tailed. there are so many more little birds that i can’t even name. oh! and i cant forget the bluejays and the cardinals, not to mention the american gold finches that come in the spring/summer. AND we have herons and ducks and Canadian geese. i think my favorite of all these birds are the black birds, because the make the most wonderful songs, and they are so pretty to watch. over all a lot of birds.

pennyandrocky wrote:i built a couple ponds in my backyard 1 koi, 1 goldfish, 1 in my son’s yard hopefully getting a turtle for that. i have trees surrounding the entire yard for privacy and my skin/eyes can’t take alot of sunlight. so i get alot of birds who have been coming to my yard for generations now. they are so familiar and bold that if i don’t put my parrots leftover pellots out they will sit right next to me and yell for food.there is a family of bluejays that come father and 2 son’s one of them has an ongoing screaming contest with penny .we also got a new couple last year a cardinal and his mate hoping to see some babies from them this year.Ha, ha…I recyle E.'s leftovers and leave them to the wild birdies…I think the word is sreading…

I do care but not having got a garden and having a busy life makes me appreciate them a bit less than I should. If I did have a garden I would provide houses/bird tables etc. At the moment the most I do is chuck some of my birds seed, leftover pellets (rarely any pellets left though) and bread out if there is snow/frozen ground. I do peek out to see whats eating it though from time to time.

i love wild birds too. I love watching their behavior, as much as I love watching the behavior of my own birds!