Wildlife butchers

This article is about how poachers of even endangered species get away with it. The story is in Peru and talks about species that are indigenous to the area, including the canary-winged parrot which are called ‘pihuichos’ there and eaten! https://www.theguardian.com/environment … ew-dollars

Well it is a tall order and a difficult one to fill, but until it becomes more profitable for the local peoples to protect the wildlife than it is to kill catch and sell them this will continue pretty much unabated. when you are speaking of entire areas that are so poor that they rely on wild caught animals for not only food but to provide an income criminalizing this practice and tough prison sentences just do not work. There has to be a better way. This is just one of my observations even though I can’t say that I know the solution for this.

No, you are absolutely right and it has been done quite successfully, actually. What they did was hire the poachers to observe, care and protect the birds but, of course, it was done through a private foundation and it requires funds…